cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace fibre router

denwyn
Rising Star

Replace fibre router

Have been with Plusnet fibre a couple if years now, no problem with connection, but we have bought some Sonos speakers and wi fi is not brilliant in parts of house. The present router set up is a Technicolour router, and BT fibre modem, which Plusnet installed. I would like to install a better router if possible, something with decent wireless signal. How easy is this to do, I do remember many years back trying to change a Sky router, but had to give up in the end, problems with passwords I seem to remember. Can I fit a combined fibre router / modem, or do I stick with the BT one. Would I have problems with passwords etc again. I did try wirleess extenders but they were unreliable. If I have to keep the BT modem,am I allowed to move it, BT engineer screwed it to the wall, I wanted it out of the way but he insisted it had to go there in case it overheated. I only want to unplug and relocate it on to a shelf. Any help or advice appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Smeaghoul
Dabbler

Re: Replace fibre router

It's very easy to use another router, just enter account name and password and you're ready to go, I have a personal preference for TP-Link the W9980 is a vdsl model and would plug directly into the wall socket, no need for the openreach modem. and the number of settings available is incredible makes the home hub look like a joke not to mention they're far more attractive (and discrete) Smiley
flamingbadger
Dabbler

Re: Replace fibre router

Hi,
As Smeaghoul suggested, it's very easy.  However, If you are planning to replace your BT Openreach supplied modem, it might be worth bearing "BT SIN 498" in mind.
"BT 'SIN 498' is the specification defining BT's VDSL2 service requirements in order that products meet specific standards of support and compatibility."

I moved across from BT to Plusnet a couple of months ago and faced the same decision as you.  In the end, I stuck with the Openreach modem and replaced the router behind it.  My logic being that I know the kind of speeds I can get through the existing modem and replace what's connected to it based on the features I'm interested in such as wireless without having to worry about VDSL modem compatibility and all that kind of stuff.  The dermacation between my kit and Openreach is still their modem (OK, technically its my modem and the demarcation is the wall socket) but I know that if I encounter problems like I had when I first migrated - the equipment up to that point is still the same.
I guess in the end, you need to go with gut feeling on this one Smiley
Cheers!
FB