cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated case escalation keeps resulting in identical waste-of-time engineer tests

disposalist
Grafter

Repeated case escalation keeps resulting in identical waste-of-time engineer tests

I've been having intermittent disconnects (0 to 5 per day) for a couple of months.  Before that, 0 to 1 per month and for a long time, so something is definitely wrong and something has definitely changed.

Support agrees with me and began process of investigation.  First stop is of course an engineer to check my setup and the line.  My setup is good (I'm an IT geek and had everything rewired a few years ago) and the line is excellent between disconnects, so, of course the engineer found nothing.

This resulted in the case closing, even though not fixed.

Support eventually re-open, realising that, yes, of course it's not fixed, I am still getting disconnects, but they have to send an engineer to kick things off again.

A waste of time, but ok.  He finds nothing (of course) and this time support escalate the issue discussing such things as REIN/SHINE investigations and saying the disconnects are such that it is probably not something in my property.

Another engineer is sent.  A REIN engineer?  Nope.  Another to check my local system and line...

What does one have to do to get an intermittent fault taken seriously?

I've had well over 100 disconnects in the last 2 months.

Many months ago I have a problem with latency variation which took me several months to persuade a serious investigation and that turned out to be an issue at the exchange that needed new hardware.

Why must this always be a battle that takes months to resolve?!  It's infuriating!

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Repeated case escalation keeps resulting in identical waste-of-time engineer tests

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing connection problems.

I'll start with the bad news that we can't book a REIN engineer. When we arrange an engineer for a broadband fault, we can't specify the type of engineer that goes out, the right one should be allocated accordingly by our suppliers.

That said, I can see we've requested one but it doesn't look like one went out.

REIN investigations are generally only opened by an engineer and if there is REIN a lot of the time the interference is caused by third party equipment, which means that much we can do to influence the third party to remove the interference.

Arranging an engineer visit shouldn't mean that they just to check your equipment or wiring, they should ideally be doing a full investigation, as we can't send out an engineer to specifically investigate externally unless line tests find a external fault.

The better news is that I've requested the escalation we've got open with our suppliers BTwholesale to be looked at team leader level. I've asked them to ensure the next engineer that goes out to complete all the "quality gates".

Quality gates are things like renew your master socket, change the D-Side & E-Side, renew the dropwire coming into your property and perform a lift & shift at the cabinet which essentially moves you onto a different port.

Apologies if some of these have been done. From reading all the engineer notes several times, I couldn't find any mention of work actually being done apart from that they found no fault.

The current status of the fault from what we can see is that the engineer who went out today has retained the job with them which means they'll follow up. The only notes they've left are "Please retain to me."

I've left your ticket with our faults team to follow up once we receive an update from the escalation and also once we receive more information from the engineer.

Feel free to post back on here if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet