cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated DNS issues with Fibre broadband.

jphdavis
Dabbler

Repeated DNS issues with Fibre broadband.

I have just joined Plus.Net and have received and connected a Hub One router. Almost immediately I started hitting the problems described at the start of this thread.

After around a day of usage, DNS requests from all devices network start failing. If I change the DNS configuration of a specific device to a public DNS (such as 8.8.8.8 ) then the device starts working, but realistically I can't do this to all devices on network.

If I restart the Hub One router then everything starts working again for the next 12-36 hours before it fails again.

I contacted support via chat and I've copied the conversation below. tl;dr IT is working on a fix but we don't know when it will be fixed and we're not telling anyone about the issue.

Can anyone from Plus.Net give me:

a) a solution that doesn't involve restarting my router everyday, it has a tendency to go wrong at the worst moments, such as when I'm trying to join a VC meeting

b) some kind of acknowledgement of the problem and an ETA for a fix. It really looks like some kind of firmware bug. 

Finally, I sort of understand why Plus.Net might lock down some of the settings on their router, as it prevents users from breaking their config, but locking down everything means there's no way to work around this kind of problem, is it really worth it?

Thanks

Jules

Partial transcript of support chat on the subject:

[CSA Removed]: There is a known issue that we are working hard to resolve

[CSA Removed]: Our IT team is working on a fix for this

Me: Is there any way to change the router config as a work around?

[CSA Removed]: There is no way to change the DNS on the router

Me: That's a shame.

Me: Is there a status page where I could have found out about this problem without having to contact support?

[CSA Removed]: As far as I am aware there is no status page with the update on regarding this matter

Me: Just found the service status saying there are no known issues with broadband.

Me: If I reboot my router is it likely to help?

[CSA Removed]: If you normal reboot does that clear the error

[CSA Removed]: *normally*

Me: It has seemed to previously but if plus.net have a DNS problem then it probably won't. If it's the router then maybe it will.

[CSA Removed]: Give me a couple of minutes

Me: Thanks

[CSA Removed]: Thank you

[CSA Removed]: If you reboot the router it will fix the issue temporarily

Me: Ok. Thanks. Any indication of how long this problem will take to fix or how long it's been a problem?

[CSA Removed]: I would say we should know more in a few days time

Me: Is there anyway to arrange to be told when there is news?

[CSA Removed]: You will know when it has been fixed as you will no longer need to reboot the router to get the internet working again

Me: I see. Thank-you for your assistance.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

23 REPLIES 23
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Repeated DNS issues with Fibre broadband.

Hi @jphdavis 

Can anyone from Plus.Net give me:

a) a solution that doesn't involve restarting my router everyday

I'm afraid that save for assigning DNS settings to specific devices (where possible) we doi not have a current "workaround" for this (turnign the router off and on is not something I would class as a "fix" or "workaround", more of a plaster...), but it's true that the issue is being worked on and as soon as more info is available then we can update affected people. 

[CSA Removed]: You will know when it has been fixed as you will no longer need to reboot the router to get the internet working again

Well - technically this isn't wrong I suppose...but I'm sure that there will be mentions of this fix on the forums once it happens as there are a few threads open about this issue. 

b) some kind of acknowledgement of the problem and an ETA for a fix. It really looks like some kind of firmware bug. 

I'm afraid I can't give an ETA, but as mentioned above, once there is movement on the issue I'm sure it will be discussed (where possible and allowed) by staff and forums members alike on here. 

Finally, I sort of understand why Plus.Net might lock down some of the settings on their router, as it prevents users from breaking their config, but locking down everything means there's no way to work around this kind of problem, is it really worth it?

I've asked this question myself, but I'm afraid that I didn't get an answer (well, one that was worth sharing anyway) - I'll ask someone else and see if I get anything different. 

Kind Regards,

MoR

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@MasterOfReality I have two concerns with the following, if concerns is the right word, but bear with me...

I'm afraid I can't give an ETA, but as mentioned above, once there is movement on the issue I'm sure it will be discussed (where possible and allowed) by staff and forums members alike on here

So, there is a known issue with some variants of the hub one, whereby the DNS causes problems. It doesn't sound like all of the hubs are affected, so must be a certain batch?

(slightly O/T) And there are some reports of users having issues with the previous software (259) and it's replacement (263) but regarding the 5GHz wifi spectrum, again from the low reports for the latter, this wifi issue might only be affecting a few users and/or routers?

But, your reply above does kinda sound like you're being told to keep it quiet "(where possible and allowed)". It may look bad PR wise, but a forum sticky with all the current known issues would surely benefit your customers, rather than having to endure facing issues like this first post and then having to mention them on the forums. One place, with all the issues would, imho, be a great idea.

I've asked this question myself, but I'm afraid that I didn't get an answer (well, one that was worth sharing anyway) - I'll ask someone else and see if I get anything different

And me. I ask myself over and over again, those that have a greater knowledge of these routers, should, via an advanced setting, be able to change the DNS settings on their router, with the relevant warnings splashed on screen, as you can with BT's business routers. The coding is already in place, it just needs adding to your residential routers. BobP knows of my thoughts on this too.

(nowt aimed at you personally;))

mikeg1bson
Dabbler

I have exactly the same issue and no one at Plusnet is remotely interested in addressing these issues.  I am repeatedly told to do a hard reset on the router as if that is supposed to fix their DNS issue.  It is very frustrating and I cannot say I have experienced this with any other ISP.

mikeg1bson
Dabbler

... I should have mentioned that these issues have been running since mid 2018 so whatever the crack IT team are working so hard to fix is either an enormous issue or more likely, they just have no idea what they are doing.

jphdavis
Dabbler

I was intending to ask for an extension on my easy escape from contract period over this. I switched from Sky with expectation of better customer service/support, faster UL/DL and better router. Right now I'm not seeing benefits, and this DNS thing is appears to be a long running problem which makes the service unreliable, which they don't have the will or capability of fixing. 

If a fix is incoming it is reasonable to give them a couple of weeks, but staying in contract when there's no visibility is not reasonable.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @jphdavis,

I've been chasing this and there's not necessarily a router issue here. It may be something server side which I believe we are looking into.

To try and give you a better workaround than changing the DNS in all your devices I've applied a static IP address to your line.

Give your router a reboot and let us know how it goes.

jphdavis
Dabbler

Thanks for trying the static ip address workaround, unfortunately this doesn't seem to have prevented the problem occurring.

Over the last couple of days we didn't have to reboot so I thought it might have helped but this morning we had to reboot twice within a two hour period.

There's another thread just appeared where someone is describing the same fault and is suggesting it started on 3rd March, rather than being the same problem that has been floating around the forums for a couple of years.

community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-DNS-problem-since-3rd-March-2019/m-p/1618131/thread-id/91194

There appear to be a few other active threads covering this issue:

community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Enabling-Sureguard-DNS-Issues/m-p/1632712

community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/DNS-issues/m-p/1626674

community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Repeated-DNS-issues-with-Fibre-broadband/m-p/1596910

Jules

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @jphdavis, though a Static IP had been added, it doesn't look like this had been activated and therefore you've actually been assigned IPs dynamically over the last few days.

I've now activated this for you, so if you can please reboot the router and let us know how it goes over the next few days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jphdavis
Dabbler

@Optimatts @LaurenB 

Regarding switching to static ip address. Thanks for trying this, but it hasn't improved things and may have made things worse. We are still getting the DNS failure after 1-36 hours of operation but in the last couple of days it hasn't always fixed it to restart from Router login page, the last 3 times we've had to physically turn it off, wait and turn it back on again (one time twice).

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey @jphdavis,

I've just tested your connection and I think that the DNS failures might be somewhat of a red herring hiding what is in actuality a DCN fault.

Looking at your connection here, would you say you are responsible for all the reconnects?:

I'm specifically looking at the drops around 3,4 and 5am?

The DNS not responding failure could potentially be the connection dropping due to a physical issue. If a request ever fails mid way through you'll likely get the 'DNS not responding' notice as the connection dropped out before receiving a reply.

If I'm right in my suspicions and those resets aren't all you. Can you give the troubleshooting HERE a try.

Beyond that, I'd recommend raising a FAULT and let us know when you have done so.

jphdavis
Dabbler

@Optimatts Thanks I will give that a go.

We did power cycle router once in middle of night but not three times.

Worth noting though that I have been able to fix the issue for some devices by poInting at Google’s DNS.

Is it possible that the router is losing plus net dns when it recovers from one of these faults?

The static IP address appears to have mad things worse, do you think that’s a red herring too?

jules

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @jphdavis

We did power cycle router once in middle of night but not three times.

That makes me think there's something causing the Drops and it isn't just DNS.

Worth noting though that I have been able to fix the issue for some devices by poInting at Google’s DNS.

Is it possible that the router is losing plus net dns when it recovers from one of these faults?

It might seem like its being fixed when you change the DNS but you could be changing the settings as the connection restores.

I wouldn't say its the router, but since the request timed out when the connection dropped, it may appear that when you update the settings and then refresh the page it returns.

The static IP address appears to have mad things worse, do you think that’s a red herring too?

I'm inclined to think the drops are physical in nature. The static IP shouldn't make any difference.

Based on there being more drops than you are responsible for via resets, I'd highly recommend the steps I advised above.

jphdavis
Dabbler

@Optimatts Regarding the relationship with DNS.

To be clear I have only applied a DNS change to a few of my devices. After the fault has occurred the devices with the fix continue to work using 8.8.8.8 as DNS and other unfixed devices continue to fail. All devices may be failing temporarily.

This DNS problem was being fixed by restarting Hub One from advanced settings, but since switching to static IP we've had to power cycle Hub One to recover those devices that don't have the hard coded Google DNS address.

The pattern of faults on your chart seem to correspond to times when I've had to reboot but there are more of them.

My supposition would be that some fault occurs, the Hub One reconnects when line comes back but in the process loses connection to DNS.

Perhaps having static IP address means that the DNS connection isn't updated when the Hub soft resets.

I checked out the troubleshooter and as far as I can tell I'm all good. I'm plugged into dual master socket and have no noise on line that I can hear. Set up is identical to my Sky service which ran constantly with high DL/UL bandwidth for months at a time.

I have now used the fault reporter link you provided to report fault and referenced this thread.

jphdavis
Dabbler

@Optimatts Plus Net engineer left message on my phone saying there doesn't seem to be a fault right now. Not overly helpful as they don't appear to have looked at the line drops.

Fault seems to be intermittent. Bandwidth is fairly variable, if I do a VC call it stalls and then recovers every 4-5 times in 30 minutes.

Jules