cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated DNS issues with Fibre broadband.

mattwainwright
Dabbler

Repeated DNS issues with Fibre broadband.

Hey guys,

We repeatedly see internet issues with our Fibre connection, where the router reports the internet is working OK (no broadband out light), the Wi-Fi connection itself is okay, but we're unable to browse to websites / apps on any device, wired or wireless.

I decided to change the DNS entries on my phone to Google's 8.8.8.8 instead of using the router at the DNS server and everything started working perfectly. I changed the DNS on other affected devices and the issues have gone. To test things further, I removed the Google DNS and pinged a website but got no response, then I pinged the Google DNS IPs and got a response. I then changed the settings back to use Google and I can ping domain names / IPs etc. So this points to the issues being the PlusNet DNS servers.

There don't appear to be any wide spread issues according to the status page and it's hard to say when the issue will re-occur. It also looks like we're unable to change the DNS settings within the router and ideally I'd be wanting to change the DNS to Google's as unfortunately it seems PlusNets aren't reliable.

Could I ask you to assist with these DNS issues please? Is there a way to change the DNS entries in the router to save having to change every device manually please? If not, could I ask you to have a look in to our issues please as this needs to be working reliably.

Thanks very much!

Matt

Tags (3)
38 REPLIES 38
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Repeated DNS issues with Fibre broadband.

Hi @mattwainwright, sorry to hear you've been experiencing some issues with the connection recently.

While I'm not disagreeing that from what you've said the problems seems to be with DNS, I would imagine that if there was a problem with our DNS as you've suggested, we would have seen far more contacts here in the forums and across our other support channels.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help with changing the DNS in the Hub One router, but could you confirm if you were experiencing this problem across multiple websites or just specific sites? If it was just a small number of sites, would you mind PMing me the sites in question so we can try and look in to this further.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
mattwainwright
Dabbler

Hello Harry,

Thanks for getting back to me!

So I've troubleshooted things a bit further and if I set the DNS manually (on a device) to the plusnet servers (mentioned at the bottom of this message) it works too, so it's not the plusnet servers (as you mentioned).

The problem is internet browsing as a whole. No websites work, no apps work etc etc.

The problem comes about when you allow any device to use the DNS IP addresses that are handed out via DHCP from the router. These are the configured DNS servers on the router at present:

Primary DNS: 212.159.6.10
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9

Are you guys able to change the DNS entries that are configured in my router please? If so, could I ask you to change them to your other DNS entries please?

Primary 212.159.13.49
Secondary 212.159.13.50

Should I PM directly about this too please or is continuing on here OK?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Matt.

Thanks for the detail.

I've discussed this with Harry and he was thinking it may be IP related if you were only having issues with certain sites, but as you're experiencing problems opening any site, it's likely something else.

From reading the open ticket on your account, it looks like that rebooting your router fixes the issue, which suggests to me that the router may be at fault, so I'd try a factory reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 20 seconds.

With regards to changing the DNS on the Hub One, I'm pretty sure that they're locked down I'm afraid.

Let us know how the factory reset goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mattwainwright
Dabbler

Thanks guys, I'll give this a try over the weekend at let you know how it goes!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's been similar problems reported in the past with the Hub one , although they are quite old threads

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Re-No-internet-connection-DNS-issue/m-p/1466990

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-DNS-request-unresponsive/m-p/1337658

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/DNS-failing-again-with-replacment-Hub-One/m-p/1473256

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-Hub-One-assigns-wrong-non-existent-DNS-IP/m-p/...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattwainwright
Dabbler

That's really interesting to see! Thanks for this, much appreciated. Definitely seems like the Hub One has issues in that case.

Going to give the factory reset a try this weekend and I'd imagine it'll likely end up with a replacement router. Will let you guys know how it goes.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the update @mattwainwright,

Please do let us know how you get on.

mattwainwright
Dabbler

Hey guys,

Sorry for taking a while to do this. I've reset the router and am now waiting to see how things go over the next week or so.

So far, so good. But I'll update the ticket in a weeks time to let you know how it's gone, if that's okay?

Thank you,

Matt

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mattwainwright 

Sounds good to me - let us know how it goes. 

All the best, 

MoR

mattwainwright
Dabbler

Hey guys,

Unfortunately the issue has come back after a day of working okay, so I think there is something up with the router hardware.

How can I get a replacement device please?

Thanks very much!

Matt

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @mattwainwright, thanks for your post.

I've had a replacement dispatched for you and it should be with you within the next 3-5 working days.

Please let us know how you get on.

***EDIT - Removed my usual SM signature***

mattwainwright
Dabbler

That's brilliant, thanks very much!

I'll let you know how things go when it arrives.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thanks @mattwainwright,

Please let us know if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
mattwainwright
Dabbler

Hey guys,

We received the replacement router the day after it was sent. Got it connected and it was working fine for a few days, then the issue came back exactly as it was before. DHCP assigned IP for DNS causes issues, but manual configuration for DNS on a device resolves the issue.

Any more ideas please guys?

Thank you,

Matt.