cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal quote - minimum speed reduced

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Minimum Guaranteed Speed MGS changed during contract.

It's clearly a disconnection, but as I said before, this looks like a maintenance disconnection - these usually occur between 1am and 5am. What cabinet are you on? 

Another matter is that Plusnet are inept at solving any complex problems to do with Openreach. We've been battling more regular disconnections (during the day) for the past year now ... and Openreach are not fixing our line, despite knowing that there's a high resistance fault on it. 

Yet another matter is that this VDSL stuff is not fit for purpose. It's new technology that uses old copper wires. It's like baking an expensive cake in an old and flaking tin... 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks for getting back to me @dejjones

You're connected via L2TP, which means your line speed is subject to two separate speed profiles, Openreach's (DLM), and our internal Workplace profile. On Openreach's side, the KBD that I've popped below shows that the line isn't banded at all, and that sync speeds are still within your estimates, slightly above in fact. I can see another drop during the early hours of the morning, but as the 30 day radius shows, the line remains relatively stable.

We don't micro-manage connections @dejjones - meaning we won't raise a fault based on one or two drops that occur every so often, an engineer is likely to go out and find a working line.

I've just reset our internal workplace profile back to 40Mbps, as it's come down a little, trying to stay as close as possible to the current sync speed.

KBD

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 659.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-12-10T15:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 861.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Radiushttp://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image16402733076509.png
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
dejjones
Rising Star

@

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Sorry to intrude but perhaps I can help answer this. Smiley

Our internal workplace profile is known as the Current Line Speed on your side and should sit around the IP profile, which is between 90 to 96% of your sync speed. These profiles respond to changes in the sync speed  

A GEA test doesn’t show this, but it does show the sync speed and you know the IP profile from other means. 

It’s hard to investigate single drops especially overnight as they’re likely down to maintenance. Each time you have a drop in your broadband connection, there’s a chance your modem will ‘renegotiate’ a new sync speed with the cabinet (the green box in the road).

As a general rule, unless there’s an issue showing on our testing, our suppliers consider an intermittent connection worthy of investigating to be 3 drops within the last 24 hours or 6 drops within the last 72 hours. 

It is odd though that the drops you’re having seem to be artificially restricting your speed as evidenced by the line resets we’d requested to remove the restriction, so if this continues to be a regular thing, as I’ve noted previously, I wonder maybe if it would be best to arrange a broadband engineer to take a closer look. 

Also this may help provide further insight: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
dejjones
Rising Star

Also the info says the DLM is making it's overnight changes based on the previous days record. I have had virtually no daytime unexplained drops/disconnections for months, so what problem is the DLM seeing that results in the maintenance events?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Ah no problem, makes sense. 

It’s definitely a tricky one, and it’s hard to say what’s causing the drops overnight if not maintenance or DLM related as your line remains stable during the day. 

If we rule out maintenance as the cause though it may be the case, then it’s possible that there’s some amount of errors on the line, which isn’t resulting in a drop. 

From the GEA test above, you can see there’s ‘Retransmission Low’ which is a setting that DLM has applied to your connection. This is basically a form of error correction, so having this on suggests that there’s some amount of errors that DLM is combatting. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button