cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal quote - minimum speed reduced

dejjones
Rising Star

Re: Minimum Guaranteed Speed MGS changed during contract.

My download speed has reduced again, well below the estimated/expected speed of 34 to 36 Mbps
This appears to be because the line has been capped/banded again at 35 Mbps.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @dejjones,

I'm really sorry to hear that the speeds have dropped again. I've tested your line this morning and can't see any caps in place, with a current downstream sync speed of 33.5Mbps being reported. When you carry out a wired speedtest on your end of things, what results are you currently receiving?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
dejjones
Rising Star

Hi TheMightyyAJ

I have just measured download speed as requested (30.9 Mbps)

Down Sync speed is 34.998 not 33.5 Mbps. It was exactly 34.998 Mbps when adam945 concluded it was banded/capped and he got it removed (Nov 11). It has been syncing at 39.998 Mbps from then until Nov 25th when it re-synced at 34.998 Mbps, so it certainly looks like a re-capping/re-banding.

Between Nov 11 and Nov 25 I was measuring speeds around 36 Mbps.

Earlier in the post adam945 said anything below expected/estimated speeds should be used to report a fault hence, my earlier post.

See also Question 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Topics merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @dejjones

I'm sorry to see your line speed is artificially restricted again to 35mbps.

From what I can see you've had a fault with your phone service, so it's likely that the automated software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) had reacted to this and banded your line.

I've arranged for your line to be reset once more, which should go through within the next 3 working days.

Let us know how you get on Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dejjones
Rising Star

I'm confused, are you referring to Fault ID: 591335, which was reported on the 17th November and cleared by fiza bhatia on the 20th November? If so, how did it result in the artificial restriction which was imposed on the 25th November?

Or are you referring to a second fault? There doesn't seem to be any unusual activity on the router event log, just the occasional single disconnection in the early hours, which has been occurring for months but has never been explained.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I’m referring to the latest fault with your service. However I missed the date of the 25th November you’d given. Sorry about that. Sad Unfortunately if line tests don’t show any issues we can’t tell you why DLM does the things it does but if your line gets banded again after it’s reset then I’d recommend we arrange a broadband engineer visit to take a closer look into the underlining issue. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
dejjones
Rising Star

Since the last visit of the OR engineer on Dec 3rd, my connection has been as good as ever.

No disconnections, (other than a power cut for a few minutes) the line has been synced at 39.99 Mbps, IP Profile 38.67 Mbps, Current Line Speed 38.4 Mbps.

Early hours of this morning there was a single disconnection after which the IP profile is now 36.95 Mbps and the Current Line Speed is 36.8 Mpbs, the line is synced again at 39.99 Mbps.

No one has ever explained these overnight disconnections, so can I now expect the the same pattern as before, where the single disconnections continue accompanied by a gradual reduction in IP Profile and Current Line Speed?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @dejjones

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm glad to hear that your connection is now a lot better than before.

In terms of the disconnections, we're not seeing any on our end, I'll pop a visual radius below so you can have a look. Are these disconnections happening on wired or wireless devices?

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
dejjones
Rising Star

Hi Adam945,

The disconnections I'm referring to are the router disconnecting from the network.

They all follow the same pattern.

They are a single event occurring around 2am to 3am  which to me suggests it is some sort of routine happening on the network and is nothing to do with noise or bad connections.

As I mentioned earlier in this post and also to you in our phone calls, they have been happening regularly every 2 or 3 days for most of 2021. But after the OR engineer visit on Dec 2nd there have been none until Dec 21st.

My previous post was to point out that following this event my IP profile and CLS are reduced.

Below are the relevant extracts from my router which may make more sense to you than they do to me.

Event Log:-

02:57:39, 21 Dec.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=39998kbps, Up Rate=9999kbps; SNR Margin Down=0.0dB, Up=0.0dB
02:57:07, 21 Dec.WAN Sensing Auto sensing Complete, interface selected
02:57:06, 21 Dec.WAN Sensing Auto sensing Running
02:57:04, 21 Dec.WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
02:56:59, 21 Dec.PPP: Stopped PPP daemon(0,1,5)
02:56:56, 21 Dec.PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
02:56:53, 21 Dec.PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
02:56:53, 21 Dec.PPP: IPCP down
02:56:53, 21 Dec.PPP: LCP down
02:56:53, 21 Dec.DSL Link Down: duration was 993127 seconds
02:28:36, 21 Dec.Receive a DHCP request

The below extract is from this morning showing that the network was down yesterday morning, hence the 1 day 7 hours uptime. It corresponds to the event on your radius picture.

Status Page:-

Downstream sync speed:   39.998Mbps

Upstream sync speed:  9.999Mbps

Network uptime:  1 days,07 Hours59 Mins

System uptime:    12 days,19 Hours55 Mins

I got the IP Profile figure from a BTW Performance Test, and the CLS from my Plusnet Account Page.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

with these disconnections happening on a regular basis, it could be what we call a REIN / SHINE issue, which is caused by regular electronic interference occusing at specific times throughout the night. Are any devices being turned on / off at this time? Things like fluorescent lights at different points along the network can cause this.

With them occurring during the early hours of the morning, is this having an impact on your online activity at all?

Adam
dejjones
Rising Star

Wouldn't those sort of problems cause more than 1 event per night?

These events are single events.

The only impact to me is the reduction of IP Profile and CLS, I'm never online at that time of day.

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

These disconnection events are most likely to be maintenance disconnections by DSLAM equipment at the Exchange. However, Plusnet should be able to confirm that.

DSLAM responds to how the line is performing and adjusts the settings automatically. 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I reckon it's highly unlikely that DLM will band the line based on this As I said, on our end, we aren't even able to see the disconnections on both our visual radius and RRT.

If you have any concerns about your IP profile though, please let us know and we'll have a look. Smiley

Adam
dejjones
Rising Star

@

3:04:58, 23 Dec.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=39998kbps, Up Rate=9997kbps; SNR Margin Down=0.0dB, Up=0.0dB
03:04:26, 23 Dec.WAN Sensing Auto sensing Complete, interface selected
03:04:25, 23 Dec.WAN Sensing Auto sensing Running
03:04:23, 23 Dec.WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
03:04:18, 23 Dec.PPP: Stopped PPP daemon(0,1,5)
03:04:15, 23 Dec.PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
03:04:12, 23 Dec.PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
03:04:11, 23 Dec.PPP: IPCP down
03:04:11, 23 Dec.PPP: LCP down
03:04:11, 23 Dec.DSL Link Down: duration was 173200 seconds
02:59:57, 23 Dec.NTP synchronization success

IP Profile has returned to 38.67 Mbps and CLS to 38.4 Mbps; even my MGS has changed up to 29.2 Mbps !
This looks like what happened when someone at PN requested a reset.

You say you can't see any disconnections; so what are you calling the event shown on your radius picture?
That is what I'm calling a disconnection; it coincides with the "DSL Link down" event in my log.
You say that the DLM didn't change the IP Profile so what did change it ?
The  CLS seems to be following suit, that didn't use to happen, so how does it all work?!