cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal of contract and speed has fallen through the floor

janeandtony

Renewal of contract and speed has fallen through the floor

My renewed contract for unlimited fibre started yesterday and my connection speed has dropped by approx 10mbs despite the promised speed. Instead of my previous download speed of approx 36mbs I am now getting only 26mbs. Upload speed is similar to previous. I have gone through troubleshooters without improvement and am now doubting my router. Can line be checked?

6 REPLIES 6
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Renewal of contract and speed has fallen through the floor

Hi @janeandtony and welcome to the Community Forums!
I'm sorry to see you're seeing speed issues as of recent.

Checking into your conenctio nfrom this side we can see 28.7Mbps donwload and 6.3Mbps upload getting to the router which is below the 34-40 estimates we have for your line.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 28.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 859.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-32.4M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-03-31T15:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 29.9 Mbps 32.3 Mbps 30.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 6.2 Mbps 6.5 Mbps 6.3 Mbps
Up Time 863.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-04-13T13:53:36Z 2019-04-13T14:08:36Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Looking at the conenction testing results above there does look to be high retransmission currently enabled on the line which could explain the lower sync speeds seeing however this error preventing line setting will only have been turned on if there were errors and interference on the conenction.

I'd advise moving forwards then to set your router upo within the test socket for 48-72 hours and monitor to see if the speed increases and if the high retransmission is removed. This can be done by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know if there's any improvement in this set-up over the next few days and if not we'll happily raise a fault with our suppleirs to investigate further.

janeandtony

Many thanks for confirming speed has slowed up and advising removing face plate of master socket.

However, my BT Open Reach Mk 3 has different face plate and if I remove it, it does not enable connnection of both telephone and router plugs simultaneously, and I cannot be without landline for 48-72hrs. Unless I use an old "splitter" that I have, and would this complicate the diagnosis? Also, I dont currently use the ADSL filters, as I believe these are not necessary with fibre.

Regards

Tony Robinson

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hi Tony

Also, I dont currently use the ADSL filters, as I believe these are not necessary with fibre.

Yes it needs to be one of those (aka microfilter)

If you don't have one, could you ask a neighbour, just for a few days?

If that's not practical, then @BD will hopefully drop one in the post (though being a weekend, plus the 3-5 day wait will delay this). Having said that, it's not uncommon for one to arrive earlier.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@BD 

If the download range is allegedly 34-40 Mbps then presumably the 32.4Mbps profile isn't helping either. Can't that be removed now or does this happen automatically if the high retransmission mode is disabled?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

janeandtony

I have removed face plate from my BT Open Reach Mk 3 master socket and inserted ADSL/phone splitter/filter with router and phone lines connected. Speed not good yet but assume it needs up to 72 hours to settle down.

Regards

Tony Robinson

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @janeandtony I've re-tested your line today and I can see that your speeds haven't improved. With this in mind we are going to need an engineer to look into things further.

I've got your availability request and the appointment for an engineer has been booked for between 8am and 1pm on Tuesday, the 16th of April 2019.

Please let us know if this needs rearranging. I've also updated your fault ticket here.

@Baldrick1 the profile being at 32.4 isn't really indicative of anything. The time stamp from there was also April 1st. The sync speed is the bit that's under performing. The profile should bring itself back into line when the sync improves.