cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote reset connection

Madnat
Hooked

Remote reset connection

Is it possible to reset a connection remotely? My home is not contactable at the moment and has been unavailable for 3 hours - is like to try a remote reset of the connection - but can’t see how to do that in the Plus Net control panel. Could you please advise? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Remote reset connection

Hi @Madnat,

I'm afraid that it's not possible to remotely reset your router if you're not connected to it, either by Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Coincidentally, having reviewed your account today I can see that you've started going through our troubleshooting process and so I tested your line to see if I could detect any potential faults.

The testing found no fault and everything appears to be up and running as expected, with the downstream sync speed coming into the property at 58.4Mbps, which is within your estimated speed range. One oddity that I did notice is that the connection seems to reset at 3 or 4AM every night and was wondering if this was being caused due to a device setup on your network? If you are experiencing any issues with the service, it's likely a symptom of these daily drops.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Madnat
Hooked

Thanks for the feedback. The reconnect is a scheduled activity on the router we use. I can't remember why it recommended that it needs to do that bit has been fine for a number of years (including with Plus and previous providers).

I can't connect to any services in the house, so interesting that the line reports ok... my only alternative is to ask a neighbour to cycle the power in the house to force a reconnect. Seems a bit drastic
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Madnat,

Thanks for getting back to us. To clarify, is the issue you're experiencing occurring when you're in the property and trying to connect to the internet, or is the issue when you're outside of the property and you're attempting to remotely connect to the devices within the property?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Madnat
Hooked

Hi - it’s both getting out and in via the broadband connection.

I’ve had a neighbour reset the router via turning off power and back on again. It works again now.

There seems to be an occasional problem getting authorised access to the internet - as the connection is made - but no traffic goes out or comes in
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Madnat,

I'm glad to hear a reboot has resolved the issue on this occasion. Have you noticed any kind of pattern when this problem occurs? For example, does it only happen at specific times, or are there any other devices on your network that could be performing actions that interfere with the Wi-Fi network?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Madnat
Hooked

No pattern that I can tell.

Just to be clear - the issue is connectivity to the internet. WiFi and LAN all work fine - just can’t access internet from inside the property, and can’t access services in the property from the outside.

Rebooting the router forced a reconnect to the internet.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Madnat, thanks for the information.

I would advise getting in touch with us when this happens, whilst you are in the property so we can identify and then troubleshoot the issue.

Just to note, though we can't reboot your router remotely, we are able to perform a 'session kill' on our side drops the active session and then reconnects it.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Madnat
Hooked

In my OP, I was essentially asking for the session to be reset.

I guess I have the right terminology now!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

No worries @Madnat, if you need us to do this in future for you, please just drop us a message.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team