cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular 'mini drop outs' now proper

Miserable
Grafter

Re: Regular 'mini drop outs' now proper

18 and 20 are wierd cuz it's deffo off. Even got a bronzey coloured light on.  

Would really like to be having 5g for the tv and plusnet you view box. How do i sort this.?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hmm, you must have clicked apply hence why the wifi light on the front of the router is now illuminated, but why that page is saying it's still on is an odd one for sure. IMHO it should reflect the current settings - anyone else seeing the same?

5GHz connects the device to the router at a faster speed, but not necessarily faster to the www. 2.4GHz connects at a lower speed but actually reaches further. Having said that, the wifi for both should work as intended and totally understand you wanting 5GHz working.

(The Youview box is designed to work via a wired connection only. Some connect it via ethernet to a wifi extender but this can cause issues with multicast, hence why it doesn't come with built in wifi)

You or I can't fix the wifi, only Plusnet can do this. If you really want 5GHz now then all I can suggest is to buy your own router - a BT hub 6 works well, you could pick one up for less then £20 on ebay.

If you can wait, then that's all you can do, until plusnet replicate this issue and come up with a software fix.

(if they ever replicate it)

Miserable
Grafter

I understand the differences etc. 

I have been using an Asus router with open reach modem,  far better WiFi but Plusnet technical will not support anything other than their own router in my experience hence them sending the Hub. 

My set up had been using the 5g to my Samsung TV and using 5g WiFi router in bridge mode to operate the YpuView box.  That way i can get 34-37meg at the box,  measured using a laptop on said bridge.  Until the drop outs started it was near perfect but Plusnet just blame the 3rd party router for the problem. 

BT hub may be the way to go but they aren't exactly friendly for port forwarding ect or at least the last one i had wasn't.

DS
Seasoned Champion

I understand the differences etc.

Ah, okay. I didn't know that you knew so thought it was worth a mention Embarrassed

I have been using an Asus router with open reach modem,  far better WiFi but Plusnet technical will not support anything other than their own router in my experience hence them sending the Hub.

Yep, it's a shame, but they are only 'trained' in regards to their own equipment. Other users have also mentioned that using the YV box and another router doesn't always work (not all users though)

My set up had been using the 5g to my Samsung TV and using 5g WiFi router in bridge mode to operate the YpuView box.  That way i can get 34-37meg at the box,  measured using a laptop on said bridge.

I totally understand why you'd want to do that Smiley

(but as I advised, multicast and wifi don't get on)

Until the drop outs started it was near perfect but Plusnet just blame the 3rd party router for the problem. 

I see BD has put the blame on your router. I have no idea if he is right. It does look like he was thinking out loud and was suggesting to use the H1 as a see if it gets better.... You did ask for the router too.

But by using their router, if it does the same then it would have proved your router was not a fault. Also being as you've made all of the changes suggested (split wifi, manual channel selection, 5g off etc) I'm still not sure why that page is showing otherwise.

I do still think the wifi and the Youview are not getting on with one another. If your Asus router is not allowing ICMP for the YV, then this could be a reason too

(you should see an awful lot of ICMP events for the IP of the YV box in the hubs event log)

BT hub may be the way to go but they aren't exactly friendly for port forwarding ect or at least the last one i had wasn't.

Although it isn't ideal, turn off the wifi on the hub, connect the Asus via ethernet directly, use the hub for the wired stuff and let the Asus do the wifi.

I've never had to forward any ports on any of my BT/PN routers.

Miserable
Grafter

Got a BT hub 6 in place ATM. Will monitor it but so far.................shhhh don't tempt fate.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Regardless it was a wise move Smiley

(shhh, using one myself;))

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Miserable.

Glad to hear that this is working well with the HH6. Absolutely not  tempting fate.

If you need anything, just drop us a line.

Take care

Dave