cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular loss of service

Highlighted

Regular loss of service

I am a long term Plusnet fibre broadband user and generally happy.  

Most days I experience a loss of connection at about the same time; between 06:40 and 07:00.

This occurs at slightly different times on the days it occurs. I get similar loss of connection at other times of the day but not as regularly.  Interestingly I have logged several events occurring at around 16:40, but much less frequently.

• I have checked the router logs - it's just the internet connection that fails. Router remains operational
  • I have swapped routers (twice) to no effect.
  • I reported to PlusNet who can see the same loss of connection on their Radius server.
  • On the days when my router does not report loss of connection, I have noticed that there is a period of 30 seconds when I get ping drops to google.com - recorded using PingPlotter.  See attachment

My questions

• What is happening between my router and google.com at 06:40-07:00  (and around 16:40) ?Huh
  • Does anyone else see this issue?Huh

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 863

Re: Regular loss of service

Thanks for your post @timf and apologies for the delayed response.

Our tests aren't showing any causes for this, however we can see the drops you have in the early hours of some mornings and also in the afternoons for the last 7 days:

Do you have anything on a timer that may be triggering to go on and off? Also what make and model of router are you using, is there an option for idle timeout or dial on demand that may be causing this?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted

Hi 

Thanks for coming back to me. 

Router is WNDR3700v4 Firmware V1.0.2.102.. I have also run a Draytek Vigor 2130 in the past.  Router uptime is 19 days (since Saturday, March 07, 2020 12:51:22 - a planned reboot).  Connection mode=always on

In the house I have no timers set to these 2 times - the central heating is set at different times (and multiple times in 24 hours).  Also please note the times are slightly different each day - difference as much as 10 minutes. 

In recent days I have been awake and using the broadband before 07:00 for ZOOM meetings to Australia and have noticed that while the router does not always note the loss of service, I can see the brief loss of service when on a ZOOM or web browsing.  

What would be interesting is a PingPlotter from Plusnet to my router and to an intermediate point, which might indicate if the ping loss is in the VDSL to my location or in the network to Camberley OpenReach.

I can see significant packet loss in the link from 172.16.14.171 to 195.166.143.137 (137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk) - this might be for a multitude of reasons however.

I appreciate your efforts in helping with this issue.

Stay safe
Timf

Highlighted

Occurred again at 06:40 today

- see attached

I wonder if anyone else is seeing this Huh

Highlighted
Rising Star

Same thing happening to me, I've had these problems since Christmas and I also was getting the disconnections always at early hours with a couple of days in between which were really bad, other than that it was really solid.

Yesterday and today have also been really bad days constantly cutting out but there's no one at the call centres due to what's going on right now (says on their website they're still at their sites but taking care here: https://www.plus.net/mobile/coronavirus) though calling it's just saying unable to take the call (maybe they're busy or maybe no one is there, I'm not sure).

It's so confusing because I've done tests with Plusnet who have told me a few different things previous before the engineer came out however recently I've been told it IS my wire after all but the engineer tested my wire direct in his box and said it's really, really not and promised me it wasn't saying NOT to move the socket (which I've been told it's going to be £160 for me to do and even then it might not eliminate the problem if the engineer was right), I just honestly don't know and don't know what to believe as I don't think anyone is lying but I am being told loads of different conflicting things. 

It's weird cause it's always at certain times or on the odd occasions certain bad days throughout, I'd have a constant connection for 11 days or so solid and then early hour disconnects like a few others have had plus lately I'm getting the DNS issue where websites are going slow, timing out then connecting which has just started (someone else reported this problem too: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Websites-struggling-to-connect-Is-there-a-fix/td-p/171...)

Today it's going off every two minutes now so it's a really bad day which is really frustrating and I've also got a random message in my account saying my account is closing now (this is so bizarre), there's just too many issue's lately it's going on and on with problem after problem all the time. 

It's dropped three times as I'm writing this too the router just restarting itself all the time, I can't do anything. 

This is what's really conflicting to me because the people at Plusnet are LOVELY and they are GREAT with customer service and looking after us, reimbursing us when needed and everything they are fantastic but I'm stuck with this issue now because they're adamant it's the wire but the engineer who tested this was adamant it's really, really not so it's pay £160 to move the socket or deal with it bare in mind I have no choice due to the setup which I explained to Plusnet at sign up and they said it was absolutely fine and to buy this certain wire (which I did and wasn't cheap) which has also been absolutely fine up until the problems started around Christmas time.

It's just an awful and very frustrating situation, £160 is a lot of money to move a socket where one says don't and the other says it's needed because I've already stressed I have NO choice to have the router downstairs in a room no one goes in, not everything connects by Wi-Fi anyway and even if it does Wi-Fi is poor so it's no good. 

I'm just completely stuck but it's weird how it'll be alright for a while or do it at certain hours only, I don't get how the wire chooses these times or to stay on for days and weeks on end then start this, I don't get it but I also don't disbelieve anyone either (I really don't) so I just don't know Sad

Frustrated basically with everything, I've never had this before.