cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular loss of service

timf
Dabbler

Regular loss of service

I am a long term Plusnet fibre broadband user and generally happy.  

Most days I experience a loss of connection at about the same time; between 06:40 and 07:00.

This occurs at slightly different times on the days it occurs. I get similar loss of connection at other times of the day but not as regularly.  Interestingly I have logged several events occurring at around 16:40, but much less frequently.

• I have checked the router logs - it's just the internet connection that fails. Router remains operational
  • I have swapped routers (twice) to no effect.
  • I reported to PlusNet who can see the same loss of connection on their Radius server.
  • On the days when my router does not report loss of connection, I have noticed that there is a period of 30 seconds when I get ping drops to google.com - recorded using PingPlotter.  See attachment

My questions

• What is happening between my router and google.com at 06:40-07:00  (and around 16:40) ?Huh
  • Does anyone else see this issue?Huh

18 REPLIES 18
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Regular loss of service

Thanks for your post @timf and apologies for the delayed response.

Our tests aren't showing any causes for this, however we can see the drops you have in the early hours of some mornings and also in the afternoons for the last 7 days:

Do you have anything on a timer that may be triggering to go on and off? Also what make and model of router are you using, is there an option for idle timeout or dial on demand that may be causing this?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timf
Dabbler

Hi 

Thanks for coming back to me. 

Router is WNDR3700v4 Firmware V1.0.2.102.. I have also run a Draytek Vigor 2130 in the past.  Router uptime is 19 days (since Saturday, March 07, 2020 12:51:22 - a planned reboot).  Connection mode=always on

In the house I have no timers set to these 2 times - the central heating is set at different times (and multiple times in 24 hours).  Also please note the times are slightly different each day - difference as much as 10 minutes. 

In recent days I have been awake and using the broadband before 07:00 for ZOOM meetings to Australia and have noticed that while the router does not always note the loss of service, I can see the brief loss of service when on a ZOOM or web browsing.  

What would be interesting is a PingPlotter from Plusnet to my router and to an intermediate point, which might indicate if the ping loss is in the VDSL to my location or in the network to Camberley OpenReach.

I can see significant packet loss in the link from 172.16.14.171 to 195.166.143.137 (137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk) - this might be for a multitude of reasons however.

I appreciate your efforts in helping with this issue.

Stay safe
Timf

timf
Dabbler

Occurred again at 06:40 today

- see attached

I wonder if anyone else is seeing this Huh

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Same thing happening to me, I've had these problems since Christmas and I also was getting the disconnections always at early hours with a couple of days in between which were really bad, other than that it was really solid.

Yesterday and today have also been really bad days constantly cutting out but there's no one at the call centres due to what's going on right now (says on their website they're still at their sites but taking care here: https://www.plus.net/mobile/coronavirus) though calling it's just saying unable to take the call (maybe they're busy or maybe no one is there, I'm not sure).

It's so confusing because I've done tests with Plusnet who have told me a few different things previous before the engineer came out however recently I've been told it IS my wire after all but the engineer tested my wire direct in his box and said it's really, really not and promised me it wasn't saying NOT to move the socket (which I've been told it's going to be £160 for me to do and even then it might not eliminate the problem if the engineer was right), I just honestly don't know and don't know what to believe as I don't think anyone is lying but I am being told loads of different conflicting things. 

It's weird cause it's always at certain times or on the odd occasions certain bad days throughout, I'd have a constant connection for 11 days or so solid and then early hour disconnects like a few others have had plus lately I'm getting the DNS issue where websites are going slow, timing out then connecting which has just started (someone else reported this problem too: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Websites-struggling-to-connect-Is-there-a-fix/td-p/171...)

Today it's going off every two minutes now so it's a really bad day which is really frustrating and I've also got a random message in my account saying my account is closing now (this is so bizarre), there's just too many issue's lately it's going on and on with problem after problem all the time. 

It's dropped three times as I'm writing this too the router just restarting itself all the time, I can't do anything. 

This is what's really conflicting to me because the people at Plusnet are LOVELY and they are GREAT with customer service and looking after us, reimbursing us when needed and everything they are fantastic but I'm stuck with this issue now because they're adamant it's the wire but the engineer who tested this was adamant it's really, really not so it's pay £160 to move the socket or deal with it bare in mind I have no choice due to the setup which I explained to Plusnet at sign up and they said it was absolutely fine and to buy this certain wire (which I did and wasn't cheap) which has also been absolutely fine up until the problems started around Christmas time.

It's just an awful and very frustrating situation, £160 is a lot of money to move a socket where one says don't and the other says it's needed because I've already stressed I have NO choice to have the router downstairs in a room no one goes in, not everything connects by Wi-Fi anyway and even if it does Wi-Fi is poor so it's no good. 

I'm just completely stuck but it's weird how it'll be alright for a while or do it at certain hours only, I don't get how the wire chooses these times or to stay on for days and weeks on end then start this, I don't get it but I also don't disbelieve anyone either (I really don't) so I just don't know Sad

Frustrated basically with everything, I've never had this before. 

timf
Dabbler

Hi 

RobbieGlover2k - I think the problem you are seeing is slightly different to mine.  I hope Plusnet are able to assist you.
Where in the country are you located? I am located in GU15 postcode. 

Hey Plusnet:- My problem persists.

I am trying to contact local Plusnet users of FTTC services to see if they have the same issue.  Whenever I ask about Plusnet issues I get a flood of issues coming my way which I find are about other Plusnet services, including mobile phone issues.  I have not yet found anyone reporting the same problem as mine.

2 files attached.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Hi there, I'm in Leeds but Plusnet have been in touch and they are absolutely great! I know the frustrations of things but I promise they will get in touch and help as they always do and they're really good, obviously it's the situation right now that's making it a bit difficult and slowing things down a little Smiley

I've got to persevere with mine at the moment because of the situation at the moment we can't have anyone out, which I'm absolutely fine with because Plusnet have been nothing but absolutely fantastic in regards to things and looking after us so I'm really appreciative of them more than words can explain. 

I really hope you get it sorted soon though, I know how frustrating it can be when we have internet problems so I really do hope you get it sorted soon which I'm sure you will Smiley

Thanks for the kind reply also, I really appreciate it Smiley

timf
Dabbler

Tuesday:   Did not see the problem today at 06:47 - I wonder why

But I still see PACKET LOSS  - but I'm not sure why - it might be a red-herring

timf
Dabbler

Wednesday:

I was watching Mr Gove on iPlayer broadcasting to the nation at 17:45 yesterday evening on my iPad and it lost connection. My son was on a conference call (working from home) and he asked 'what happened'.  

So the time has now shifted so that the events happen at about 07:45 and 17:45.  Clearly what ever is causing the interruption in service has not changed to BST and is still on GMT.   Interesting.   

This makes computer equipment (with NTP synced clocks) an unlikely origin of the problem and external environment (with a physical clock unchanged) a more likely cause.  Equipment in the local exchange perhaps? 

Annotation 2020-04-01 103530.jpg

My VOIP service failed during the outage this morning, as I would have expected.  

Attached at PingPlotter and MultiPing screen captures - yesterday showing nothing at 06:45 and today showing the usual pattern but at the revised time.

timf
Dabbler

Thursday:

I have added this mornings ping plotter screens.

As a test, I set up another computer connected via my 4G mobile phone hotspot (also Plusnet).

As expected, I saw no issues at the time when my other computer (connected via Plusnet Fibre) shows the loss of service. 

Annotation 2020-04-02 111514.jpg

mp 2020-04-02 080238 is from the 4G-connected hotspot PC 
mp 2020-04-02 075136 is from the Plusnet Fibre connected PC 
pp 2020-04-02 075136 is from the Plusnet Fibre connected PC

timf
Dabbler

Tuesday
Problem still occurring every day.  I have contacted another Plusnet user locally who is seeing similar issues.

30 seconds of loss of service every day between 17:30--17:59  and 07:30--07:59

snap 2020-04-08 095334.jpg    snap 2020-04-08 095734.jpg

Note the event on 06-04-20 was a little earlier than usual at 17:32.  This shows a bit longer (over 60 secs) because my router needed to re-authenticate on this occasion - see log entries below:

[Internet connected] IP address: 31.185.63.177, Monday, April 06, 2020 17:33:07
    [Internet disconnected] Monday, April 06, 2020 17:32:31

IMHO there is a problem on the (tunnelled?) link from 172.16.14.171 to 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk
I'd guess the 172.16.14.171 device is local to me and 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk is clearly in Plusnet Sheffield.
What do you think?

Attaching 4 files from PingPlotter and MultiPing from 2 days

timf
Dabbler

At the request of the Plusnet support team, I removed the DSL filters from the OpenReach socket and replaced with a standalone ADSL filter.  Normal service was available after this change.  The filter change was made before 17:00.

I noticed at 17:24:30 a significant slowdown in service (pings went to 150ms or more) for 45-50 seconds.  I thought the usual loss of service had changed its character.  BUT NO...  a few minutes later along comes the loss of service (at 17:31) as usual.

So the removal of the OpenReach socket filter and replacement by free-standing ADSL filter appears to have had no effect.

The PingPlotter and MultiPing screen shots are attached - these show BOTH events.

The filters were restored to normal.

twyly
Hooked

Hi! 

i just read your posts ... very interesting!! Smiley 

did you have a chance to speak to your neighbours (or someone in your area) and asks if they have similar problems?

Even if they are not with Plusnet (except for Virgin) as they all use the same Openreach infrastructure. If it's common to the area, it is likely an infrastructure thing. If not, then, it's your own household or local exchange to your line.

Just a suggestion...

timf
Dabbler

Wednesday morning:-   

Well, again this morning I saw the same thing as yesterday evening - a double event.

Just before 07:30 there was an event and again at 07:43

The 4 files are attached

Sorry, the plots are not perfect - MultiPing stops after a while and needs restarting - hence the gaps.

Also, the time gap between the 2 events means they are on different plots.

I eagerly await an OpenReach visit.

timf
Dabbler

Twyly, Hi!

I have asked neighbours (excluding VM users) and nobody reports similar issues;  however, it might take some detailed investigation to identify the issue.

I did speak to one gentleman who lives about 5 kms away. He sees a similar issue - regular loss of services.  When asked who his ISP was - guess what?  He's a Plusnet FTTC user also.  Different local infrastructure to me; first likely common point in the path to the internet is the local BT exchange.  Lockdown has prevented me from visiting him to run my tests from his location.