cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular Short term Disconnections.

bigbird

Regular Short term Disconnections.

Hi All, 

New to the Community but been with Plusnet Fibre since almost the beginning I think. In the last week or so been experiencing a lot of short drop outs on my Wi Fi. It is affecting ALL my devices. It has been suggested to me that it may be my Router although all the lights etc,  look and appear to be functioning normally.  Very annoying when viewing Netflick, Prime etc or steaming my own content from my desktop. Is it the Router, how do I check or is it a line fault? I have done all the usual resets with the Modem and Router. Help!! 

5 REPLIES 5
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Re: Regular Short term Disconnections.

Funny, but I've been having the same but for the last couple of months.

I also use a remote access point that is connected via ethernet, that goes AWOL at the same time.

Happened tonight during a web chat with Amazon so was particularly annoying.

Looking at my event log, I can see

ath00: STA 10:63:c8:30:c5:c7 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated

which is strange as I was using the PC at the time, the MAC corresponds to the laptop I was using.

I know the Wifi goes up & down a bit, used Homedale on a spare laptop near to router and find the signal goes up & down by up to 8 dbm but I think this is excessive as the monitoring laptop is only some 30cm from the router and is not being used/touched at all

Any suggestions from Plusnet, just agreed to a 24 month extension so hope I haven't made a bad choice

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @bigbird and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your connection.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal going into your router.

Are you still using the Hub Zero (2704N) we've sent you long ago when you first signed up? 

Might be worth going through some WiFi troubleshooting steps Here and/or looking at getting a newer router if you are.

@dougjbarnes1, line tests also aren't showing any issues for you. Can you try the above ^ WiFi troubleshooting too?

Let us know how you get on Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

No I've  a HUB1 that you sent a couple of years back, it's the second one as the first may have been damaged by a major mains failure in Oct 19.

It seems to happen many evenings, between about 20:00 and 22:30, I get a status of Conected but no internet, followed by no connection.

Within a minute everything usually comes back up again, but during the 'down time' I can't even ping the router, I'll try to check my local IP still is set when it next happens

As the DHCP lease is set to 1440 (i.e.24 hours), I don't understand why I get so many DHCP requests generated, I thought the system doesn't normally start to request a refresh  until about 80% of the lease is used, but it's been some time since I worked in that area.

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

I'm in a private bungalow in its own garden, I mainly use the 5G band and there's no co-channel that I can see, in 2.4G I 'm using Ch3 as I'd already played channel setting, other stations are typically -15dbm compared to my signa so they shouldn't cause much of a problem should they,

Copy from Merageek inssider in picture

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @dougjbarnes1 

My question about whether you've got a Hub Zero was for the original poster. Replying to someone else's post with your own issue does cause a bit of confusion, it's always better to create your own topic Smiley

Are your devices all connected over WiFi when you have issues or do you have a laptop/computer plugged directly into your router using an ethernet cable? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet