cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular Ping Spikes ruining online gaming

yfchess

Regular Ping Spikes ruining online gaming

I enjoy playing league of legends and other online games, but every few minutes my ping will spike to c.500 ms+ for a few seconds which makes online gaming impossible (attached ping results from gaming server, which are essentially identical to results of pinging my default gateway).

The results are the same using other devices, wireless and wired connections.

Have scoured the internet for solutions and contacted plusnet tech support, but unfortunately nothing has worked (including resetting and reconnecting my router, setting up a static ip address, changing various settings on my laptop, and everything else plusnet livechat recommended).

I can see on the forums that many people have the same problem. The only succesful resolutions I have seen are either Pro Add On (which I understand is no longer offered), or an engineer/supplier fixing the issue on plusnet side.

Also worth noting that I have had my fibre broadband with plusnet for almost a year now, and I didn't have these issues in the first 6 months.

Please help! I am hoping this can be resolved otherwise I will try another provider since I really want to play online games again. 

5 REPLIES 5
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 102

Re: Regular Ping Spikes ruining online gaming

Hi there, 

I've just been running some line tests and they don't show any obvious causes for the latency you've noticed. 

If you can it would be a good idea to connect to the router over a wired connection just to check if the same issue happens. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
yfchess

Thanks Adam,

I have tested on wired connections as well with the same results

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 102

Thanks for trying that out, do you tend to have any other devices using the connection whilst you're gaming?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
yfchess

Yes, but I also tested disconnecting all other devices and still get the same recurring ping spike

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 54

@yfchess would it be possible to provide some traceroutes so we can see where about the spikes are occurring on your connection.  

Joe
 Plusnet Help Team