cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular Fibre Disconnects

Riverside
Grafter

Regular Fibre Disconnects

Hi, reviving this thread as I cannot re-activate this one.

I'm experiencing what are becoming regular disconnects again. It's not been as bad as before and it's not every day. However the dropouts are creeping back in, usually one or two a day, and today the router has already reset itself several times.

Could someone check whether there is, as with the linked thread, any issue with the local provider please?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Fibre broadband down

Hi @Riverside it was probably worth creating your own topic, rather than trying to revive someone else's. I've asked our mods to split your post from this topic into it's own one. 

I've tested your line today though and the tests are showing a bridge tap which is a potential wiring issue.

I'd recommend going through some troubleshooting steps explained here Here to rule out any internal wiring, making sure you don't have extension cabling between your router and the telephone socket.

If you're still having issues afterwards, please raise a fault ticket at faults.plus.net and feel free to post back afterwards and we'll pick this back up as soon as we can to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been split from another thread and title changed for better visibility and to help staff.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Riverside
Grafter

Thanks Gandalf,

There's no extension cabling between the router and the (only) phone socket, however the primary connection into the phone socket was from my Sky box with the Hub One plugged into the back of that micro-filter style device. I don't use Sky for broadband so i've removed that to see if it makes a difference.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem @Riverside

Try the test socket and see if that makes a difference

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Riverside
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

I've moved from wi-fi to ethernet cable for one of my devices (which is usually but not always in use whenever the router drops out) and the connection has remained pretty much stable since your last reply, apart from a couple of unexpected router resets at 9:51 and 10:20 this morning. Will continue to keep an eye on this for now.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Riverside, thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how it's going. I'm glad to hear the connection has been much more stable as of recent. I can see when looking over your connection graph seen below the intermittent drops you've mentioned though which certainly hint something is out of place somewhere.

image16244561075147

I'd advise should you see the drops look to increase moving forwards to please give a try of your connection plugged into the test socket. Although it sounds like there's no extension wiring or extension sockets within your property the issue could still be being caused by the faceplate which we'd recommend ruling out before we'd look to progress this issue further should the drops look to persist.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

You may need to monitor the connection in this set up for a few days looking at the frequency of the drops occurring to be sure if the drops look to persist or not if not apparent straight away.

Let us know how it goes.

Riverside
Grafter

Thanks BD,

The faceplate suggests there should be a master socket behind it so if the connection has another meltdown (like Wed 16th) I will test that out.