cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular Disconnects

jameshanner
Dabbler

Regular Disconnects

I've been experiencing regular short disconnections over the past week. Today the service is unusable and I've resorted to typing this on my phone. Can you please take a look and see if what I'm seeing matches up at your end, and if there's a solution? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Regular Disconnects

Hi

Can you give any more information what what is disconnecting? What colour lights come on thr router and for how long? 

It might be either your DSL link is dying and that is a more physical problem on the line, or it could be that is stable and your connection to Plusnet is dying, or it might be your wifi dropping out potentially etc.

Thanks

MS

jameshanner
Dabbler

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm not near the router when it drops out. I'm seeing disconnections whilst connected via ethernet cable. I then go into the router and hit 'connect' and eventually it comes back to life.

This was an upgrade from ADSL which performed perfectly so I'm a little baffled that fibre hasn't been as good.

Is there any diagnostic software I can run to help you determine what's happening?

Thanks, Jim
jameshanner
Dabbler

...and again it drops out, reconnects, stays alive for a few minutes, and then it drops again.

The download speed I'm getting today is slower than before I 'upgraded' to fibre. Not happy.
gofaster
Rising Star

Do you have a Chromecast and the Plusnet Hub One? There are known issues with this combination

See: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Google-home-setup-issues/td-p/1387399

jameshanner
Dabbler

Thanks @gofaster. I've had a good read through that thread. I'll need to ask my housemates, who also use the service. Would a Chromecast be identifiable on the 'connected devices' page of the Hub One? There are several devices on there which tell you what they are, and others which are 'unknown'. 

To see if I can fix this issue, I've moved my router to be within a metre of the BT socket (ie. no BT extension leads), and so far I haven't noticed any disconnects. But it's only been a few hours. I still have what I regard as terrible speeds for a fibre line which should be able to manage over 60Mb/s, according to BT. I'm getting about 18Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up, according to Ookla and the BT checker. The best I've had on this line with the fibre connection is 33Mb/s, but that only lasted a few days before dropping to a figure that was only marginally better than the ADSL line I had before.