cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular DNS Not Responding & Speed issues.

thunderer
Grafter

Regular DNS Not Responding & Speed issues.

Hi.
Sorry bother you folks, but I've come to pick some brains.
I've been experiencing a considerable number of disconnections recently and it doesn't matter whether I use wireless or wired connections, the problem is the same and I know this because when I've used Windows 7 internet troubleshooter it comes up with "The DNS server is not responding".
Now this can last just 10s, sometimes it's a lot longer and it sometimes requires a reboot of the router (Draytek 2850n) or computer to resolve the issue, is there an alternative to this and if so how do I do it?
I know about putting alternatives into the properties box when you access either the USB adaptor (N65 USB Adaptor) or onboard Gigabit adaptor for the wired connection and insert alternatives in there. Not that it seems to make a jot of difference.
Also my line speed has dropped by over 10 meg, because at one stage I was regularly getting 65-69 Mbps, now it's an average of 50-55 Mpbs, sometimes it drops below 50, OK that's still fast, but not overly happy about a drop like that.
Any ideas on how to resolve these issues would be appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Regular DNS Not Responding & Speed issues.

We aren't seeing any drops on our end and the ones that are there I'm guessing are when you reboot your router?

Your actual sync speed hasn't changed either. That's at 74mbps so your throughput shouldn't be as low as what your seeing.
Do other devices have the same issue?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you checked the routers log for dropped connection?
A dropped VDSL connection can be up again before the ppp session times out, in which case it probably wouldn't show on PN's graph.
thunderer
Grafter

It's just happened again now twice.
It may show that I rebooted the router as well, which is correct I did, I have also inserted the DNS Server to be used as Open DNS-2:  208.67.222.222 to see if that will make any difference to reliability & performance.
I know something is wrong as Google is freezing quite readily and Google Maps doesn't appear complete. Also some pages are slow to load up.
As for the Draytek log, I haven't got a clue where to look! It's so darn complicated to use. I can't use the BT modem & Technicolor set up, I haven't got enough power sockets to do it!  Shocked
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

There was just a random burst of connections that haven't showed up before.
About 18 in the space of 4 minutes.
It'll be hard to tell if its a line issue without trying the Openreach modem and Technicolor as a alternative.
Is there no way you can attach a four plug extension to the one power socket that's there?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thunderer
Grafter

I'm already on a 6 gang socket and they're all in use!  Embarrassed
npr
Pro

You could run a TBB quality monitor / ping graph.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
That will give a indication of any dropped connection.
But you really need to do as Mathew says and try the BT modem and Plusnet router. It's plusnet who you need to convince there's a problem before you can get it investigated.
thunderer
Grafter

How can I when I haven't got any power sockets left?   Huh
As you can see the line speed has dropped again down to 51, I have tested it again since and it's dropped again to 37!
I've had the DNS error occur at the following times:
21/02/15: 1256
22/02/15: 1504-1507, 1545-1546, 1604-1605,1645-1647
And if you have a look at the attachment you'll see that the BT Speedtester concurs with my speed drop & now says to report the issue.
thunderer
Grafter

Right as an update, I've daisy chained a couple of extension leads together (Not happy about that) but as a temporary measure, it'll do, however!
It has taken me over 45 minutes to connect and I can only do so wirelessly, I cannot connect using a cable at all. So it looks like I have a duff Technicolor router as well, so the whole lot will be disconnected and boxed back up! VERY UNHAPPY! Angry
Oh as soon as it did connect, it came up with the same DNS failure!  Roll_eyes Angry
Update
This bit has been added via my old Draytek 2850n and via a wired connection, which I did to prove the cable connection wasn't broken & the Technicolor is broken.
thunderer
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
We aren't seeing any drops on our end and the ones that are there I'm guessing are when you reboot your router?

Your actual sync speed hasn't changed either. That's at 74mbps so your throughput shouldn't be as low as what your seeing.
Do other devices have the same issue?

I'm getting a general slow down, I've checked my router and for some reason in the log it reverted to "Training" when it comes to the line speed. Odd.
I've lost DNS again another twice tonight at 2020 - 2025 & 2108 - 2109. No connection to the net and a yellow triangle with exclamation mark on the internet connection icon on the taskbar. Getting really cheesed off now.
npr
Pro

I'm guessing you're problem is dropping the vdsl connection as I explained in the above post.
The DNS issue is a red herring, if the internet is down there's no DNS!
Plusnet's graph is not showing any dropped connection so you need to find a way to prove if this is whats happening before you can expect PN to arrange a BT visit.
Look again for a router log file and think about a TBB ping graph.
thunderer
Grafter

Well it's just done it again and whilst I was in the router menu and it alerted me without any warning that the connection was lost as there was a network change.  Huh
What the hell is going on?
I take it TBB is thinkbroadband?  Huh If so I've set one up, but that'll be days before anything is shown. I'm really starting to think about paying the £80 or so to quit and go to BT or VM instead.
thunderer
Grafter

Does anyone know why my linespeed profile has now been cut from 74Mbps to 60Mbps?
Last speed test was showing a pathetic 35 Mbps.  Angry
thunderer
Grafter

Nice to see the complete lack of interest by Plusnet customer services.
I've found that my IP address has changed several times without my intervention, my connection speed has once again collapsed into the 30 Mbps territory.
VERY UNHAPPY INDEED!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to see this hasn't been picked up yet.
Our testing is showing a external issue so I'm just raising this to our suppliers now.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team