cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundant ADSL routers?

donne
Grafter

Redundant ADSL routers?

I have recently upgraded to fibre (a painless transfer - thanks Plusnet!) and now have a Plusnet Hub One modem/router.  My question is whether the two redundant Plusnet-supplied routers I had on my previous ADSL service are of any use.  In the past, a spare router has proved to be useful when checking to see if a fault has developed in the in-service device.
5 REPLIES 5
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Redundant ADSL routers?

Hi
If you have a  Techniclour 582n router used for ADSL this can support Fibre connections but requires a software upgrade to do so. You can find instructions on how to do this on the community site. My experience is that it is a better deveice than the more recently supplied Plusnet 2704n Fibre Router.
Older routers supplied by Plus Net cannot be used with Fibre connections. I doubt they have any resale value on eBay but you can check! Otherwise take them to your local recycling  centre and put them with all the other electronic junk: but wipe them of any log in data first. You never know !
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 582n and Hub Zero (2704n) require an Openreach VDSL2 modem (or some other VDSL2 modem) to be used on FTTC. People who have been supplied with a Hub One won't have a separate modem.
An old router could be used just as an Ethernet switch or wireless access point.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gpsmout
If you have a  Techniclour 582n router used for ADSL this can support Fibre connections

In this case just remember you would still need a VDSL2 modem (e.g. OpenReach modem) to use it.
donne
Grafter

Thanks to all for the advice.  So I would have to purchase a fibre modem to use with the 582n as a router, even after the software is upgraded?  Seems hardly worth it though if there is a potential use for the kit it would be in my nature to hang on to it.    I did attempt to set up an earlier modem/router as a wireless access point without success and eventually bought a cheap Edimax which worked without a problem.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: donne
So I would have to purchase a fibre modem to use with the 582n as a router, even after the software is upgraded?

Yes, because the 582n does not have a VDSL modem built in.
One advantage of getting an OpenReach modem (get a Huawei HG612 if you do decide) is that you can unlock it (very easy) and gain access to all your line stats, which can be very useful when trying to figure out faults etc.
If that kind of thing doesn't interest you, it is probably not worth the expense just to use the TG582n. Whilst the TG582n is better than the Hub Zero, its wireless range is not great, so to spend more money just to use it, may not be worth it.
I think you may be able to use the Hub One with an OpenReach modem (someone with more knowledge can confirm), in that case you can access line stats whilst keeping your Hub One, and you can also use the TG582n with the OR modem as a backup.
I paid 10 pounds for my HG612 off Ebay.