Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction in speed

khaled75
Dabbler

Reduction in speed

Hi,

My PN profile reads at 73.4 and I have been getting close to this for over a year now.  Today my connection dropped and I was forced to reboot my modem and router.  Since then, all speed tests show me at 59-60 but my PN profile still showm me at 73.4

Any ideas?

Additionally, I had to register a new username on this forum because it would not accept the password for my previous one.  I tried the forgot password link but never get an email through.  Can one of the CS Reps help with this please?

Regards

25 REPLIES 25
khaled75
Dabbler

Re: Reduction in speed

Update to thread: Have finally managed to complete a BT wholesale diagnostic test and my IP profile there has dropped. What use to show 73.4 inline with PN, is now showing 63.87

Regards

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

Unless you have done so already can you try connecting to the router via ethernet so we can rule out WiFi as a potential cause?

If/once you have and this is still an issue it would be worth following the troubleshooting steps here:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Let us know how you get on and I'll follow things up with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
khaled75
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response.  I am always hardwired into the router.  Have also completed the troubleshooter.

Regards

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers, I've just replied to your ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@khaled75 wrote:

Additionally, I had to register a new username on this forum because it would not accept the password for my previous one.  I tried the forgot password link but never get an email through.  Can one of the CS Reps help with this please?

Could you drop me a PM with your old username and the email address you believe this was registered on. Thanks.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
khaled75
Dabbler

Hi Adam / Harry,

I have responded to both of you.  Adam via ticket and Harry via PM.

Cheers

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

I'm actually going to go against what Adam has said here I'm afraid.

As you are connecting within the estimate range (although at the very bottom), this isn't a broadband fault and if we booked an engineer to come visit you, this would most likely result in a charge as they would advise the line is performing within expectations.

Estimate

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 66 20 20 -- Available -- --

Line Test

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 66.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

How's the phone line itself? Is there any noise, hiss, crackles etc when you plug in a handset and dial 17070 running the quiet line test?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
khaled75
Dabbler

Hi Chris,

Firstly quiet line test was good.

Now, I appreciate that a line needs to be drawn on what is and is not a fault and that you will have clearly defined tolerance factors on defining this.  My issue is that I have been happily enjoying over 70 Mbps since December 2013.  My line drops and right after I'm on a lower profile.

I'm not suggesting that this is what happened but if an engineer was the the cabinet when this happened and the drop is due to work the he/she carried out, I fail to see how this is my fault or why I should accept the slower speed I am currently getting.

This is an almost 13% reduction in speed and I'm curious as to what your acceptable estimate range is for an 80/20 connection.

If you'd prefer to talk about this over the phone, fell free to call me at anytime on my daytime number.  

Regards

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@khaled75 wrote:
I'm curious as to what your acceptable estimate range is for an 80/20 connection.

We don't provide estimates for an 80/20 or 40/2 connection, we provide the estimate for the line, which for your line is:

@Chris wrote:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 66 20 20 -- Available -- --

You can view the speed estimates for your line at http://dslchecker.bt.com

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
khaled75
Dabbler

Ok, so the estimate for my line is between 80 and 66, is that correct?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Yes your estimate is between 66Mb and 80Mb therefore If your BTW profile is 63.87 then your under the estimate I'm not sure why Chris is saying different.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

The chart Chris shared refers to "Synch" speeds, not speed tests, which can vary with traffic on the network. As the OP is synching at the lower limit, if OR were to come out Chris is advising that charges may apply.

That said, it would be worth following the troubleshooting guides, and plugging the router directly into the test socket to ensure there are no local issues slowing things down.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

hmm I thought what the OP posted was the BTW IP profile result therefore the Sync to the Cab in which it would be under the estimate, if it's just a speed test result then yeah that wouldn't count can the OP clarify is that a speed test result or a BTW profile result

khaled75
Dabbler

Download speedachieved during the test was - 60.92 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-63.77 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 63.77 Mbps

My IP profile before I got a dropped connection the other day was 73.4

My current download speed (done on BTW and speedtest) is between 59 and 61.  Before the disconnect it was between 70 and 72, very rarely even 73

Also, my faceplate does not have a test socket.

So am I or am I not below the estimate range?