Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction in FTTC connection speed

FIXED
TW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Reduction in FTTC connection speed

Thanks for that reference to DLM reset (I see you've already been a long way down that road with your much faster connection - hope its settled down now).
Again 'DLM reset' was unknown - but once I looked properly at your text and stopped asking about 'dim reset' I did better though!
I'll keep a watching brief on my connection speeds and see what happens from Plusnet.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @TW ,

Thanks for your response.

As @iangilf points out, I've completely missed that your line is banded, which is my mistake and so I'm sincerely sorry for that.

That being said, 44mbps (the speed we're seeing at our end) lies smack bang in the middle of your line estimates and so I'm not overly optimistic that removing the banding is going to make that much of a difference to your usable speed.

I can see that you've got everything well in hand with our faults team re: removing the banding but if you do need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to post again.

TW
Rising Star

Thanks Owen.
44 Mbs was my steady usable speed with Plusnet for some years and very acceptable too.
Reduction to an inconsistent 25-35 at my end, with uploads suddenly reduced to 1-3 Mbs, is not - so I do expect a return to my previous consistent connection speed!

As you also remark, the help team have stepped in - giving action, advice and a HubOne modem/router (although I see that this equipment has a somewhat variable press).

So what with your actions, theirs and the stirling I/P's of @iangilf support is being excellent.
I'm grateful to all.
John

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

good luck nuddy once they request the dlm reset and its actioned let us know how it goes also if u can , can u please post your router stats of your snr and max attainable and currently connected we will be able to see what your line should be able to handle m8

cheers

TW
Rising Star

Happy to do that when the line is altered (Wed 24th I think).

TW
Rising Star

Banding was reset on 22nd.
48 hrs later (24th), and as instructed, I switched my router off for 10 secs then back on.
It has been continuously on since.
My connection varies now between 24Mbps and 40 Mbps.
It never disconnects but is not at a consistent speed - certainly not as good as before my difficulties.

Plusnet advised (and sent) a Hub One modem/router (for the postage costs) to upgrade the OpenReach Modem/Netgear 3700_v4 that I have in place (Technicolor was always u/s).

I haven't opened the box because of indifferent reviews of it in various places (+ I can't see how to connect it to BT - the image shows my current link from BT to the OpenReach modem).

I'll let the learning run go on for 7 days before adding to my question (again the service team have always been speedy and courteous in assessing my difficulties, unfortunately without a magnificent result to date).

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

that looks a mess m8 to be honest u need a new master nte 5c socket which a bt engineer should do , also why dont u just connect the hubone up and just have the one modem router all built in running instead of the old bt equipment?

TW
Rising Star

Thanks.... it is always good to have an alternative view...

Master

There is an NTE5C (OpenReach) some distance away from which the socket in the image (again OpenReach) is supplied. In turn that secondary socket provides a broadband and a telephone feed.

All is properly installed...

Hub One

1. I haven't opened the box because of the indifferent reviews of Hub One.
  2. I can't see how to connect Hub One to the secondary BT socket.
  3. I don't want to risk messing up the already flaky connection

I'll watch the learning until the 31st and hope for stability.

TW
Rising Star

Plusnet have continued to try to help with my connection but now seem to wish to close my support question as completed.
I have negotiated a further weeks observation.

This is the current summary report on my connection:-

WBC FTTC Annex A
20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability 80000
Generic Speed 54200 No Time Out
------------------------------------------------------------------
WBC FTTC Annex A
20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability 80000
Generic Speed 42400 No Time Out
Your Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed is : 39Mb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This minimum speed is not being achieved at present and is much less than that supplied when the fibre connection was started.

I just don't understand why the speed change has occurred - nothing has changed at my end!

I have explored a change to BT but, as the connection speed offered on my line is the same as Plusnet, there seems no point.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @TW,

Thanks for getting back to us and we are sorry for any confusion over your support ticket, I can assure you it is still open and with our faults team for monitoring.

Your speed can may vary and there are a number of things that may affect your broadband which you can find here.

I have run a test on your line today and as you can see the speed is showing as 51.8Mbps, which is over your estimates.

In regards to the router setup, I will look into this and respond via the fault ticket on the account.

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 51.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 682.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-10-30T10:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 51.8 Mbps 51.8 Mbps 51.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 11.7 Mbps 11.7 Mbps 11.7 Mbps
Up Time 868.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-12T09:48:54.548+00:00 2018-11-12T10:03:54.548+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 6
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 8 5
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
TW
Rising Star

That is encouraging, your result is well over the estimates.

However.....
My system is open source and so Flash is not installed which makes BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test not possible.

When I use "BT Broadband, Speed Test, Fibre Broadband Checker" up to 40Mb is offered with 'Superfast' fibre the same, unsurprisingly, as Plusnet.

My long term monitor, Speedtest.net, which I use (recently) on a daily basis is less encouraging.

I attach the current graphic example.

It is not really the ultimate speed that concerns me but the variation the graph shows in connection speed.

If the connection would show as stable here that would be more than cceptable. No one is faulting your efforts on my behalf, I am most grateful for your attention.

I look forward to your comments in another place on how to connect HubOne to my existing OpenReach connection (shown in a orevious image) without having to open the terminal.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @TW

Thanks for coming back to us. I would continue to monitor the speed and if you find that you consistently get a lower speed test result via a wired ethernet cable, let us know so that we can progress your fault. I've just updated your fault ticket regarding your OR connection here.

Best wishes

Dave

TW
Rising Star

Thank you @dave (and the rest of the team).
The test connection is wired and I shall continue to monitor the variations in it.
Your note about the OR connection has encouraged me to explore further.
Regards
John

TW
Rising Star

I'm still getting a variable speed connection - it is on spec (39Mbps) for a few days then a drop to 20Mbps for a couple of days then back to spec. My OpenSource system doesn't let me run the BT commercial speed test and Plusnet do not fully accept my Speedtest.net results...

I have to give the help team full marks for persistence in trying to fix my perceived problem.

Plusnet ran a GEA service test today in which no fault was found. (have to say I don't know what GEA means).
The CSC Analyst's Summary was:-
Could be a snail connection. I wil perfrom session kill.
Low WP I will change WP
(again, I've no idea what that means or what CSC means in this context).

I shall ponder Plusnet's offer of an engineer visit - or just accept the situation as is, after all, I do have a connection.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @TW, thanks for the update.

Having checked into the profile on the line (the setting that essentially decides what speeds you get) I can see that it was set a little low for your services.

I've amended this for you now and you should notice your services speed up almost immediately, although in some cases it can take up to 24 hours.

With regards the acronyms used:

GEA = Generic Ethernet Access test (basically a broadband line test)

CSC = Customer Support Centre (our callcentre and social media teams)

WP = Workplace Profile (our internal system and what was set too low).

Regarding the 'snail' connection - I believe the advisor meant to say 'stale', which means you're showing as online on the majority of our diagnostics but the connection's essentially gotten stuck in a piece of equipment at the exchange and you aren't actually online. Killing this stale session would generally allow you router to re-connect correctly.

I hope this helps but please let us know if you need any further help, or you notice your speeds haven't increased at all.