cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced sync speed

invis
Hooked

Reduced sync speed

Since I switched to fibre in March '17 I've always had a full 80/20. However, a couple weeks ago Plusnet obviously changed something and it's now 74/20 (see attached).

I'm less than thrilled by an 8% reduction in speed with an upcoming 5% increase in line rental cost.

Could someone undo whatever was done please?

10 REPLIES 10
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Reduced sync speed

Hi @invis,

Testing the line it looks like there's a banding imposed on it to cap it at 74Mbps at the exchange. As it's banded we've added it to our daily reset list to be sent off to BT Wholesale for the banding to be lifted, though it's worth noting it is unlikely the banding reset will go through until Monday or Tuesday.

invis
Hooked

No change yet - rebooted the modem and same 74Mbps - did this go through? 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I have seen some reports in other threads that a number of DLM reset requests made earlier this week have not been actioned by Openreach.☹️

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @invis,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue. I've tested your line this afternoon and I can see that everything now appears to be fine from what we can see on our end of things, so I believe the current problem may be more local. When you're carrying out tests on your end of things, do you have the router setup within the master phone socket in the property? If not, I would recommend doing so. If it's already setup as such, please could you set the router up within the test socket instead? For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
invis
Hooked

I have two lines, both connected via DrayTek Vigor130 modems (OpenBSD firewall/router, UPS, etc - you get the idea). The business line that uses TalkTalk on the backend is still at 80/20 because they've not fiddled with it; the plus.net one is still at *exactly* 74/20.

As you can see from my first post, I monitor the sync on the modem (mrtg on a Pi), and there's been *no* fluctuation, *no* deviation, *no* change in sync speed since the start.

Sorry, this isn't a local problem - nothing has changed here.

So, either the line is still capped at 74, or perhaps the SNR has been capped at 6. Either way, I just want whoever it was that did whatever they did to undo it.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @invis,

I've tested the line this morning and I can see that the previous request went through but unfortunately hasn't taken effect. I've sent another request through now and we'd expect this to be processed over the next 2 working days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
invis
Hooked

No change yet - after a reboot the modem still says "73999 (Kbps)".

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @invis 

I've arranged for us to re-add your line to the DLM reset tracker.

Let us know if you've not seen an increase by the close of play on Monday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
invis
Hooked

This is quickly becoming somewhat of a farce: "78942 (Kbps)", but now with "0 (dB)". Amazingly, it's working fine.

I've looked at the logs now and the initial problem happened between 1571968800 and 1571976000 (2AM-4AM 25 Oct) - this was clearly work done, and it clearly reduced the line quality.

Could someone undo whatever it was they did please?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @invis

Thanks for the update.

As my colleague @Gandalf has advised, we'd need to allow the DLM reset time to kick in - please update us on Monday if you see no improvement.

Thanks

Dave