FIXED
Sajit
Hooked

Re: Reduced speed on fibre unlimited

Thats good to hear man, I hope mine goes the same way
rod37
Hooked

Hi, noticed my speed tests had gone down to less than 50% over last day or so.  BT engineer had (earlier) changed the modem cable which appeared to do the trick few days back...however clearly it seems to have been a router reset which actually did the trick, as doing this again has reset the speeds back to where they were.  ...have you reset your router?Huh

stevehs
Grafter
Fixes: 3

No, I never tried that. The engineer said he still detected cross talk but did not mention the bridge tap which I assume the re-wiring addressed. He told me to wait a few days as he said the isp connection would need to 're-calibrate', and indeed it did seem to.

sheffpete
Rising Star

Update to my slow speed, tested today and now getting 66mbps download over wi-fi with no changes to my setup, so can only assume something external has changed.  

sheffpete
Rising Star

Spoke too soon, last night I was down to mid 30's and today under 20, in fact upload is now close to download speed ..... but still a solid connection with no drop outs so something to be grateful for.

Sajit
Hooked

So the engineer came around today morning and changed my openreach master 2c (maybe the one before even) faceplate to the openreach 5c socket and reset the router and my speed according to the router changed to:

59.3 Mbps downstream and 10.33 Mbps upstream

Using the speed checkers with ethernet cable:

BT wholesale:

54.96 Mbps Download   11.23 Mbps Upload

Using wifi

BT wholesale:

54.65 Mbps Download  11.18 Upload  

So a drastic improvement from the master socket replacement and router reset. I'll update in a few days since it has gone back down for other users.

stevehs
Grafter

I have been monitoring since Friday and the speed has varied quite a lot between 26-37 MB Down, 5-10 MB Up.

I also had a few more disconnects, but none in the last 24 hours so it's really hard to say it's been totally sorted.

After they installed the new socket, the junction connecting to the original phone line fell off the wall, so I have ordered some sticky pads to re-attach it. Odd they did not screw it into the wall, it may be it was always a sticky pad.

The router did disconnect once when I tried to cable clip the junction to the wall and the speed reverted to slow again, maybe it did not like the vibration? So I removed the cable clip and it seemed to go back to normal speed the next day, very odd.

Here's some pictures.

stevehs
Grafter

Back to square one again, have raised a new fault.

stevehs
Grafter

Disconnects have now stopped for 3 days but speed is always about 30MB DN/1MB UP.

So engineer came today. First test via my router was 35MB DN/1MB UP, but second test through his router was 35MB DN/10MB UP so suggesting it's a fault with the router.

But strangely when I ran the test afterwards through my router and wifi I am also now getting 33MB DN/10MB UP which is the first time it's gone above 10MB since the last visit. But it's very unpredicatable.

So in conclusion my router seems to have a mind of it's own. Will keep monitoring and perhaps ask for a replacement router.

rod37
Hooked

as suspected, sounds like when router is reset it finds the good speed. Something is making it slow down such as faulty earth. Check local cabinet for any messy wires...?Huh

sheffpete
Rising Star

So my connection still varies wildly, can occasionally get 60mbps but most of the time its in the 30 -40 ish range but at the mo its around 16 down and 13 up.

Can anyone suggest likely reasons for such variations, strange that uploads seem fairly consistent whereas downloads are all over the place. Always have a reliable (no dropouts) connection though.

Any thoughts welcome.

stevehs
Grafter

Fix

Still having daily disconnects and sometimes reasonable speeds, but new router has arrived today!

After initial setup speed is achieving maximum both up and down. Checking with the fing app it's showing all of the channel connections have now jumped from the lower bad quality range to the higher good quality range. Will see if that was the crucial fix. Was not sent a return address label so guessing I just recycle the old router?

rod37
Hooked

is it a different model of router?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@stevehs  What do you mean by "lower bad quality range to the higher good quality range"?

stevehs
Grafter

Same as before Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 but the charger is slightly different.