Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced speed on fibre unlimited

FIXED
stevehs
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Reduced speed on fibre unlimited

A friend noticed that our zoom video was fuzzy and after performing a speed test I am consistently getting 27/37 MB down, 1/10MB up. When I checked the speed tests stored on my phone I noticed that it's been this slow since February '21 when I was getting close to the maximum of 37/10 MB. This is less than the minimum guaranteed speed. I have swapped out the filter and checked direct connection to the router but nothing changed.

34 REPLIES 34
sheffpete
Rising Star

Re: Reduced speed on fibre unlimited

Hi,

Same here, actually upgraded to higher speed package a few weeks ago and was getting a solid 50mbps and did get almost 30 when on standard fibre, but over last two days i'm lucky to get 20 download, so maybe there is a more general issue ?

cheers,

Pete.

Sajit
Hooked

I noticed a heavy drop on mine too, take a look at this:

Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra

Estimated Download Range: 54 - 72Mbps

Estimated Upload Range: 13 - 18Mbps

Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 48.5Mbps

Current Line Speed (Download): 6.5Mbps

I don't see why I'm paying for 48.5 guaranteed when im limited to just 6.5 mbps...

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Sajit  You may not realise that the Current Line Speed is not an actual speed but a legacy profile cap that only affects customers with a Static WAN IP address, have you paid Plusnet to get this add on? What speed do you get on the BT Wholesale speed test?

If you do have a Static IP Plusnet need to update the Current Line Speed, the fact that it is so low suggests you have or have previously had a fault causing a very low sync speed.

Sajit
Hooked

@RealAleMadrid That cap sounds interesting but I have no idea about a Static WAN IP address and have not made any changes to the broadband/router since installing it. I've had the broadband running for 6 months but the speed became an issue around a few weeks ago so not sure how or why it came about, possibly a fault occured as you said. 

The BT wholesale speed test says:

18 ms ping

5.49 Mbps Download

4.00 Mbps upload

Auric
Grafter

@Sajit Have you checked out your line for noise by running the “quiet line” test?  

To do this dial 17070 - option 2 using a corded handset if possible - the only sound you should hear is a periodic 'Quiet Line Test' voice message. If you hear noise, crackling etc, connect your handset directly to the test socket behind Openreach master socket faceplate which you can access by removing the faceplate. This disconnect any internal home extension wiring that you may have. If the noise is still present when you try the quiet line test report a phone fault.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Sajit With speeds that low you obviously have a fault. You can raise a fault online  https://faults.plus.net 

Sajit
Hooked

@Auric I checked my line for noise. So with the face plate on, there is no dial tone and when calling 17070, it did not ring or connect to the number and it had a faint static sound in the background with the occasional crackle. When I called my own mobile, there was no dial tone and silence and the call did not reach my mobile. I then revealed the openreach face plate and used the test socket and the same situation happened. I tried the above both with/out the provided adsl filter and there was no difference.

I then however, removed the openreach face plate itself as it just slides out to reveal the original BT test socket from before and dialled 17070 and was able to connect successfully and select the option 2 quiet test line. Here also, I heard the faint static and occasional crackle but the line was very clear audibly. The internet speed has got worse from the BT wholesale speed test:

39ms Ping

3.41 Download

3.78 Upload

I raised a fault with Plusnet yesterday and they want to send an engineer over and charge me £65 for it.

stevehs
Grafter

Update to mine, a fault has been detected and I have an engineer coming tomorrow. There is a possibility of a £65 charge.

If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of Openreach equipment within your property and its boundary, or if no fault is found, you will be charged £65 to cover the cost of the engineer.
Auric
Grafter

@Sajit

I then however, removed the openreach face plate itself as it just slides out to reveal the original BT test socket from before and dialled 17070 and was able to connect successfully and select the option 2 quiet test line. Here also, I heard the faint static and occasional crackle but the line was very clear audibly.

This suggests a wiring fault in your home. Openreach are only responsible for no_charge fault repairs up to and including the test socket. 

Look for corrosion on the faceplate contacts.

Try another DSL filter and DSL cable between the Master socket  and the modem-router.

If you can find the fault and rectify it, you may be able to cancel the Openreach tech visit.

Sajit
Hooked

@Auric Tried cleaning but to no avail. Its the same result so I might have to order a replacement master socket. After raising the fault Plusnet did a GEA test which showed Home Wiring Problem not detected. The phone line is noisy even from the test socket when I actually made a call and the low speed problem still remains so will have to call an engineer i guess. However I can't see how a bad faceplate causes the broadband speed to drop that much. Its not dropping connection or anything, its just very slow speed.

Auric
Grafter

@Sajit

From your tests and the GEA report there is a good chance that the fault causing the crackling noise is upstream of the Openreach (OR) test socket; thus not chargeable. It is likely that the DSLAM's DLM (Dynamic Line Manager) in the OR cabinet is dropping the line bitrate owing to line noise. When the fault is found and fixed the OR tech will reset the DLM to re-enable higher bit rates. Good luck.

Sajit
Hooked

I'll look into that, I've seen a few threads about the DLM and lowered speed. Thanks for your help so far. I'll keep posting on here with updates, hopefully others will find it helpful.

stevehs
Grafter

Engineers came and replaced my multiple split outlets with a single Outreach master socket.

So far there has been no difference and it has disconnected once already, so I doubt it was an internal fault.

12:21:39, 23 Apr. ( 1640.990000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Timeout

stevehs
Grafter

Just tested again and it's back to normal now, getting a swift 36.5 UP -/- 9 Down which is pretty good for a large village.

Haven't received any news from  Plusnet and don't know if I will be charged for the new socket.

speed test.png