cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced download speed over time

grdav
Grafter

Reduced download speed over time

When I first got FTTC a fair years ago, 2013-14 probably, I was getting upto 73Mbs Download with no stability problems, I've noticed over the years this has decreased, it dropped so that it wouldn't get more 69Mbs, then last year it was 63Mbs, now it's 55Mbs, it looks as if it is being capped at the lower rates; I've not experienced any instability issues over this time period, there have however been some power cuts or I've been having work done to the house where I have turned the BT Openreach Modem off for a while; the latest powercut for instance was the other week which has coincided with the drop from 63Mbps to 55Mbps - I had to reset BT Openreach Modem after the latest power cut as it was stuck at 9Mbs download

When I look at the BT stats for the line it does suggest I should be where I originally started all those years ago Smiley

I'd be grateful if someone could please investigate and perhaps if there is some artificial limit that has been applied please reset it so that I can get the higher throughput I used to get

18 REPLIES 18
grdav
Grafter

Re: Reduced download speed over time

I've managed to get through to support and they have now tried a reset just in case there is anything which is limiting the line.....

I have my doubts as the download IP Profile for my line appears to be set at 58.37, so I wonder if this isn't the issue

I await with bated breathe though Smiley

grdav
Grafter

As I suspected the reset has had no effect, I even reset the modem

The loss of download speed is due to the IP Profile being set lower for no apparent reason as I have no no line issues other than a power almost two weeks ago

So the IP Profile needs adjusting upwards as I am paying for an 80/20 service

Unfortunately the ticket was closed immediately after issuing the reset

grdav
Grafter

Here are the stats from BT Wholesale test, as you can see it states that the max download matches the IP Profile, so this IS the limiter surely

Download speed achieved during the test was 54.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40-58.48 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 58.48 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 58.48 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was 20.12 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @grdav, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry for the issues that you're having with your service and the drop you have seen in your speed.

Having checked things over, there are no restrictions that are causing the issue; both the line profile and connection profile are correct and aren't causing any limitations.

We are seeing a sync speed of 60.4mb. As you are seeing speeds above your minimum guaranteed, there may not be much an engineer can do but we would be certainly happy to book an engineer so they can take a further look at this for you.

I have updated the fault ticket here for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=220185785 you add a reply, let us know and we can pick this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grdav
Grafter

Thanks for getting in touch @LaurenB

Before booking an engineer, I know you say there are no problems and its syncing at 60.4Mbps but how can the test/diagnostic information be stating the download IP Profile is capped at 58.48Mbps, this just seems too much of a coincidence and does seem to coincide near the download speeds I'm getting

Could it even have something to do with the 8 year old BT Openreach modem I have or would that be something the engineer would look at

Advanced Performance Test -
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 55.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40-58.48 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 58.48 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 58.48 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 18.19 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 20 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

grdav
Grafter

@LaurenB not sure why there are multiple responses from me in the open ticket, apologies Smiley maybe from browser refresh

I assume the sync speed determines the IP Profile which then suggests the IP Profile can't go higher because of the sync speed being only 60.4Mbps, which does make sense

Maybe it is worth an engineer visit to see if they can see anything, I'll update the ticket Smiley

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for getting back to me! I have replied to your ticket for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grdav
Grafter

@LaurenB read the ticket, thanks very much for your help so far, it's worth a try isn't it, it has been a while with the BT Openreach modem, 2013 or so, maybe that power cut did something nasty to :), who knows

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes definitely worth a try given it's age! Let us know how this goes!

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grdav
Grafter

@LaurenB Yeah if does sync higher than the current BT Openreach modem, I'll replace that modem with another as the hub one is a little old and can't run in modem or bridge mode only and I don't want to run my asus router in AP as I lose benefits and I also like to be in control of what runs on my network, but at least we'll get some direction Smiley hopefully Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Makes sense, sounds like a plan. Let us know how you get on when it arrives Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grdav
Grafter

@Gandalf I did a few tests this evening, with the same setup, BT Openreach modem, as I'm waiting for the plusnet one router which was posted today, and the download speed has gone from circa 55Mbps to circa 63Mbps along with the Download IP Profile increasing from 58Mbps to 66Mbps; I assume the line is syncing at a higher speed than the 60Mbps it was previously

I assume there is no banding on the line now, think that was sorted saturday, and I also removed the static ip address on monday night as didn't need it anymore

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @grdav, thanks for getting back to us. I have just retested your line and it does look like your sync now at 68mb and there's no banding.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
grdav
Grafter

Hi @LaurenB thought it must now be higher than the originally 58Mbps

I've just received the plusnet one router, is it worth giving it ago or just leave it as is to see if the sync goes up any further.  If you'd like me to swap in the plusnet router replacing the BT Openreach modem I can, but could you suggest the best way to do it without the BT thinking it's a fault / dropped line and then lower the sync again; I know I can logout of the internet from my WAN connection on my asus router

Thanks, in advance