cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced Download Speed

jarvs
Hooked

Reduced Download Speed

I’ve been on Fibre (FTTC) for about 2 years and have been getting a healthy 36 Mbps. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some degradation and from Speedtests it showed that I am now only getting about 19Mbps. I reported the issue and was told the test from the Plusnet end is a healthy 38Mbps. Had an Openreach engineer visit today and he tested from my property that the line is getting 38Mbps. I showed him using a wired laptop and using both a Homehub5 and the Plusnet/Openreach modem/router combo that I can only get 19Mbps. Nothing else plugged into the router. He changed the box on the wall and added a new dsl cable but the results were the same (still 19), He suggested that it must be the modem at fault. Plusnet are sending a new Hubone to me by I am sceptical that this is the issue, The homehub5 is showing on the connection page Downstream as 36.85 Mbps. But still both BT Speedtest and Ookla show 19Mbps. 

Also the upload speed is the same as it’s always been about 6 to 7 Mbps.

Any suggestions. Am I possibly being banded?

5 REPLIES 5
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Reduced Download Speed

Hi @jarvs

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested your line again today and you're definitely in sync at just under 40mb/s with no banding in place.

If the engineer has tested your connection from within your premises and gets a similar speed, the only thing that has changed is the equipment used to measure that speed (Your router vs the engineer's equipment).

At this stage, I do feel it's worth waiting for the new router and seeing how the speed looks at that stage - I'd also recommend using the new ethernet cable and filters in the box in case the issue is a combination of those factors.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

jarvs
Hooked

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is now resolved but I don’t understand how as I’m am now back on my old BT Home Hub 5. 

The new Plusnet HubOne arrived and I plugged it in and magically speeds jumped up from 19 to 36Mbps. However within a minute the WiFi just disappeared. Not a drop out just gone - doesn’t even appear on devices that originally connected to it. I had to cable back in to check everything and all looked good but WiFi was not visible to other devices. I Rebooted it and all worked fine for a few minutes, then the WiFi disappeared again. A quick google and I notice this is not uncommon with this device. As I’m working from home I decided to plug the old BT Home Hub 5 back in and live with 19Mbps until a suitable time. But low and behold now the Home Hub 5 is running back at 36Mbps as it had been for the last 2 years. 

I have not idea what fixed this. Any theories?

Regards

PJ.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That's really odd! I'm all out of theories but I'm glad that you're speeds are back up to previous levels. Want us to arrange a replacement of that hub one for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jarvs
Hooked

Hi thanks yes that would be good.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem, 

I've just arranged that for you so the replacement router should be with you within the next 3 to 5 working days. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team