Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended to replace plusnet hub by Openreach

FIXED
grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Recommended to replace plusnet hub by Openreach

I had an Openreach engineer come out yesterday to fix an issue outside of my property network. He then carried out a speed tests on his hand held machine at was getting 70Mbps down each time. He then plugged in the Plusnet hub and wired and a single wired connection to a PC. The online speed tests seem to only get a maximum of 50Mbps.

The engineer then suggested that the plusnet hub hardware is not the best and suggested in order for me to achieve the true maximum of 70Mbps I should replace the hub and purchase a high end Netgear router retailing at £100+. Surely this should not be necessary to get the full potential of my internet connection? I've had speeds of around 65+Mbps with the same hub in the past. Any thoughts on this?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Recommended to replace plusnet hub by Openreach

WiFi wise the Hub One can certainly be improved upon but it should be fine on a wired connection. Sounds to me like an excuse for him to do a runner. 

Was he doing a like for like test? For example was both his test equipment and the router plugged into the test socket, that's the one you access if you take the front off the master socket? Also was he comparing sync speed on his macine with download speed on your router?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @grahamroberts11,

Thanks for getting back to us on how the engineer appointment went.

Might be worth trying another Ethernet cable - Is there an alternative Ethernet cable around your home you could try? If not you can always try and get a spare one from your local pcworld/wilcos for around £5.00.

Thanks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The OP has a static IP so will be routing via our L2TP network. Smells like a Plusnet profiling issue to me.
@Mads, has somebody checked the connection profile at our side? Not set to ~50mbps is it?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When I changed to fibre an Openreach Modem and a Plusnet Router were installed. these were fine for about a year, then things started to slow. I noticed the Openreach modem was getting very warm. i swapped out both for a good quality Netgear Modem Router. All is pretty good with this, i get a decent speed, and the WIFI is noticably better. Lots of people seem to agree the standard hardware is pretty poor. The router was probably sound but the modems are poor. I would recommend a Good Netgear Modem/router any day .

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:
The OP has a static IP so will be routing via our L2TP network. Smells like a Plusnet profiling issue to me.
@Mads, has somebody checked the connection profile at our side? Not set to ~50mbps is it?

This sounds like it could be the problem. Every time I do a speed test I'm getting exactly 50mbps. would you be able to check on this @Mads ?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Fix

Hi @grahamroberts11,

I have checked your connection and it looks like it was due to a profile speed cap. I have removed the cap and reset the connection. Please run a wired speed test to see if it has made any difference. If not, please reboot the router and that should activate my changes.

Let us know how it goes please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
grahamroberts11
Dabbler

I have tested again this morning and I am now getting speeds of around 60Mbps so removing the cap seems to have worked. Thank you very much to @bobpullen and @Beyhive for identifying and fixing this. 

Why was a cap added to my profile and is this likely to happen again?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Good to know @grahamroberts11 

It's hard to say in hindsight. 

If you notice the same thing happening please shout up asap and we will look and see if it's happened again. 

Thanks, 

MoR

grahamroberts11
Dabbler

Ok, will do thanks. I'm just glad I don't have to spend £100+ on a new router/modem

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@grahamroberts11  the PlusNet profile is meant to track any changes in the BT profile. Occasionally, though, it can get 'stuck' so if your BT profile had dropped in the past the PlusNet profile MAY have got stuck at this lower level.

Just to complicate matters , the PlusNet profile does not affect most accounts nowadays, only those with static IP's. You used to be able to see the PN profile value in the member centre but since its largely unused its been removed...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.