Recommended router for fiber broadband

Duker5
Dabbler

Re: Recommended router for fiber broadband

Hangar18 I've just copied and pasted this from the manual,

Hardware Overview of the Modem
Router
This manual describes the following models:
• NETGEAR® N600 WiFi DSL Modem Router, Model D3600.
Provides two radios with WiFi connection speeds up to1 300 Mbps per radio for a total
aggregate throughput of 600 Mbps. The 2.4 GHz radio supports 802.11n and the 5 GHz
radio supports 802.11na.
• NETGEAR® AC750 WiFi DSL Modem Router, Model D6000.
Provides two radios with WiFi connection speeds up to1 300 Mbps for the 2.4 GHz radio
and up to1 433 Mbps for the 5 GHz radio for a total aggregate throughput of 750 Mbps.
The 2.4 GHz radio supports 802.11n and the 5 GHz radio supports 802.11ac.
For each model, both radios can be active simultaneously.These models are compatible with most major DSL Internet service providers and also supports cable or fiber Internet service.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

According to the manual on the website the Netgear AC750 Modem Router does work with VDSL FTTC fiber and it does what I need it to do.

What it doesn't say , is that to work with Fibre , you will need a Fibre modem as well

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Duker5
Dabbler

MisterW

I'm confused at what you say because it is a modem router, so why would I need a separate modem if it is already a modem router?Huh

Also it's got exactly the same on the back as the Hub one which has 4 Ethernet ports and it also says ADSL like the Hub one does.

Can you send me the link to information that says it doesn't work with VDSL please?
steviejay
Grafter

Because some modems are ADSL/VDSL and some are ADSL only.

To clarify your edit; some will say they work perfectly well with fibre as separate VDSL or cable modems were a thing with BT and Virgin.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've just seen the cost, not cheap and am sure but you need a VDSL router.

This link, although it seems to reference a US ISP and not PlusNet (look at the last question), would imply it doesn't.

So you would need two boxes plugged in. Don't understand why it is classed as a modem when it appears to be a router only.

hangar18
Grafter
Fixes: 1

It does have a modem built in, but its an ADSL modem and not a VDSL modem.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks @hangar18, so it's no good for the OP then?

You will need to look for something else, sure someone here can recommend something.

Duker5
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies, it seems very difficult to find a reasonably priced and good VDSL modem router, unless people want to pay a fortune 😕
Duker5
Dabbler

Found this on the Argos site but unsure about TP-Link as I've heard bad things about them.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882

It does say it's VDSL though.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Far inferior wifi performance versus the Hub One because there's no 5GHz radio.
The Hub One doesn't present any inherent security risks IMO, and the protection offered by MAC filtering is questionable at best. It's trivial to spoof MAC addresses.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

That is a very basic router, with slow WiFi speeds, and does it have the features you are looking for?

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks @bobpullen

I didn't know MAC cloning was that easy, never have tried it. Smiley

The thing with that is, you'd need someone determined to be able to do it, wouldn't they need to know a valid authorised MAC to change it to?

See what you mean about the lack of 5Ghz signal. It may not cause a wireless problem, but it could.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Duker5

Why not just accept that if you want a new router with the additional functions you desire for the budget you have then at the very best you will end up with a router with performance and features that the vast majority of us consider important inferior to the Hub One. Your alternative is to see what's available second hand.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in thinking that you would be far better off forgetting about your wish list as the risk of your WiFi security being breached, especially if you set a strong password, is very low.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Duker5
Dabbler

It's not that I have a wishlist others don't also want but it seems your missing the point entirely...
No
I had better security options on a 7 year old Netgear router when I was on ADSL just 2 days ago so it's NOT unreasonable to want the same security settings I'm used to is it!

Also it's abundantly clear the security is rubbish on the Hub one anyway as someone from Plusnet just yesterday could easily access the Hub one and reset everything back to default including the very strong WiFi password I'd chosen, if Plusnet can do it in seconds which is all it took them! Then anyone can!

I'll simply have to save up more money and pay top whack for a decent VDSL modem router that will provide me with the features I expect to have purely based on the fact that I could get those features on a 7 year old modem router then I should be able to have the exact same on a much newer modem router, clearly not with the Hub one though...

Oh well, I'll start saving again for what I want.

Also just to clarify with an access list that absolutely guarantees nobody can access my internet as only allowed devices can connect and even if devices not allowed were to get the wireless key it would be useless to them as they'd simply still be denied access because they're not in the access list.

And that's the type of security I want and the security I'm used to, so just because you don't think it's likely with a strong password that it will be breached, I simply don't want to give them a chance.

Obviously security is more important to me than it is for you.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You have a strange interpretation around what warrants 'better security'.
The latest firmware release notes for the Netgear router you have are dated 2016, so I'd question your opinion of how secure it actually is?
An access list based on MAC filtering does not *guarantee* other devices can't access your router. As mentioned previously, MAC addresses can be spoofed.
Not here to have an argument, but I fully defend any claims that the security of the Hub One is 'rubbish' or can easily lead to compromise.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵