Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended router for fiber broadband

Duker5
Dabbler

Recommended router for fiber broadband

Hi,

I have now got connected to FTTC and I'm disappointed with the Hub One provided by Plusnet for the main reasons I don't see it as very secure!

Firstly you don't have to enter a username or password (the option for both isn't there anyway....) the username it already knows and clearly the password as well but I don't like that I prefer the option to enter my details myself.

Also the wireless security is lacking in the sense I cannot choose what devices can access the router/modem i.e an access list where as if anyone could get hold of the WiFi password they could just pull up outside the house and access my internet or even a neighbour, but if the option for an access list was there even if they got the password they'd still be denied if not in the list, I did this with my Netgear DG834G on ADSL and that's a 7 year old router!! And that had the setting to do it.

So can somebody recommend a modem/router that works with FTTC which costs no more than £50 preferably but if I save up for a few weeks longer I could push that to £75.

Thank you
29 REPLIES 29
steviejay
Grafter

Re: Recommended router for fiber broadband

You do realise the user is automatically configured by Plusnet when you connect the router don't you?

AFAIK, it ships in a default setup@plusdsl.net user and uses your CLID to set your username and password.

It is a BTHomeHub 5A in all but colour of plastic and firmware.

It doesn't have MAC address filtering but the password is between you and the gatepost if you make it uncrackable (hint: use the maximum length and turn off WPS) so unless they turn up with a supercomputer or ten I think you'd be OK.

It's your money though and your choice if you want to spend it.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The BT Smart Hub (6) will work with plusnet , see the thread in FTTC Routers,  but I have no idea if it is more secure than the Home Hub one.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

steviejay
Grafter

I had one, I went back to the 5b.

Read this, https://bigtechquestion.com/2017/05/09/hardware/why-does-my-bt-smart-hub-keep-disconnecting/

a lot of the known issues with the earlier hubs aren't really fixed like splitting the SSIDs to get it to work better and the 5GHz is still flaky.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I use a Business Smart Smathub 6 and it is rock solid. I have also used a residential version and so was that.

Yes, as with  Hub One you have to separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands but that is so simple to do it's not worth commenting on.

Having said that it hasn't got the features the OP seeks.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

steviejay
Grafter

Glad you've had a good experience with one.

But they continue to ship it in that configuration and a lot of the Smart options really aren't all that. Spontaneous reboots is another issue. I've seen one crashed continually knocking out the whole network until I traced the fault to a faulty network driver. But the fact is, driver conflict or not, the wireless radio crashed the AP and thereby the whole router and that really should not happen.

Reduced performance, yes. Dropped connections, maybe. But just to fall over completely isn't a good sign.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

No problem with using a BT Smart Hub here either.

Duker5
Dabbler

Of course I realise the username and password is provided by Plusnet when I connected that router which is why I said as such when I posted... Obviously you missed that.

But not to worry.

And just to say it's not the point about if someone turns up with a supercomputer or 10... It's the principal and I want to be able to setup an access list like I could with a 7 year old modem/router when I was on ADSL not 2 days ago before my switch to fiber was completed!
Duker5
Dabbler

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

AFAIK, it ships in a default setup@plusdsl.net user and uses your CLID to set your username and password.

@steviejay pretty close , but for information , it uses the router serial number rather than the CLI. The router is registered to the account when shipped.

@Duker5 neither of those will work. They are cable routers, you need a combined VDSL capable modem/router

This list https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0 is a good staring point, although it may be slightly out of date

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Duker5
Dabbler

Oh damn I hoped one of those would work, and yeah that kitz link you provided is a little bit outdated and I'm struggling now due to a very limited budget, I can't afford the top end vdsl modem routers.

Would the Netgear AC750 Modem Router work as apparently that is a modem and router in one.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

With your budget and the need for bells and whistles you're probably better off looking on auction sites to see what's available second hand then look up the specs, or better still find the manual online to see if it will do what you want.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hangar18
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Ref the Netgear AC750, I believe that is an ADSL2 modem/router, so no.. It won't work with VDSL.

Duker5
Dabbler

According to the manual on the website the Netgear AC750 Modem Router does work with VDSL FTTC fiber and it does what I need it to do.

And it's currently at Argos for £47.99 instead of £69.99 so I've reserved it but it's sold out at almost every Argos store except Meadowhall
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Duker5

I think you may be worrying a bit too much, unless a problem happens?

Sounds like though where you want MAC address filtering on the router, so only devices you authorise can connect. I am not sure if the Hub One supports that.

It just means a bit more trouble on your part to set up if it does, or a cost if you need to buy new equipment.