Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended ethernet modem for Plusnet?

FIXED
andyrewsmith

Recommended ethernet modem for Plusnet?

Hi all, 

After being very disappointed by the wireless/general performance on the Plusnet Hub One, I've decided to separate out my network and go for a dedicated router and AP. I have a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite access point which is working quite well, but I'd like to swap out the router with something more enterprise-class - probably a Ubiquiti USG. 

Can anyone recommend a single port ethernet VDSL2 modem that won't break the bank? I've been thinking about purchasing a BT Openreach modem (HG612) off eBay - are these any good? Are they easy to configure for use with Plusnet? I'm guessing I won't need to change any settings on the HG612, just set my new router to connect via PPPoE with my Plusnet username and password? 

Thanks for any advice Smiley 

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Recommended ethernet modem for Plusnet?

Fix

The Openreach VDSL modems from Huawei and ECI require no configuration.  Just connect your router to the modem and configure PPPoE on the router get Plusnet connection up and running.

Both modems can be unlocked if you need access to DSL line statistics and other configurable settings.  (google kitz forum)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
andyrewsmith

Cheers, I take it there's no point unlocking them if I'm not bothered about seeing line stats? 

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

You are correct.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-