cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend me a modem/router

stef1989
Grafter

Recommend me a modem/router

Anyone recommend a good modem. Will want it for the Xbox One and a better signal as currently only getting around a 1/4 of the signal in the bedroom which is only about 15 meters away form the router!
Would like one which would replace the white Openreach modem but if i can get one cheaper to do the same job then i don't mind.
19 REPLIES 19
shure
Grafter

Re: Recommend me a modem/router

There are several choices of router, but are you sure you want to replace the modem, too?  Are you looking for a one box solution or would you be happy with a standalone router?
stef1989
Grafter

Don't need to replace the modem but if i could get 1 which would replace both for only a little extra i would go with that, but it doesn't really bother me.
shure
Grafter

I would normally advise separates as they tend to run cooler than one box solutions and the OR modem seems to do the job anyway and once wall mounted (easy to do) is pretty unobtrusive.  You didn't mention budget but the more advanced you go the easier it is to raid the bank balance!
If it helps I use the Asus RT-N66U dual band router.  It has a built in print server which I find very useful, as well as much better range and signal strength than my previous.  It's available on Amazon for £85.  It''s not AC compatible, though, so if you want / need that it would cost you between £130-£160, depending on whether you wanted the latest greatest version.  I get a pretty good signal on both my Xbox One and Xbox 360, which are in different rooms.  Very easy to set up a guest network, too, if like me you have a teenage daughter whose friends can't survive without connecting to Facebook and Snapchat wherever they might be!
The Billion BiPAC 8800AXL modem router is in the £150 bracket and gets a lot of recommendations, too.  It's very good if you like tweaking your SNR to get the best connection possible and is AC compatible
If your budget doesn't stretch that far then the TP Link TD-W9980 combined modem / router for £65 seems to have a lot of fans.  It's a one-box solution that's not quite as powerful as the Asus but that might not be an issue depending on how many clients you have.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: shure
he Billion BiPAC 8800AXL modem router is in the £150 bracket and gets a lot of recommendations, too.  It's very good if you like tweaking your SNR to get the best connection possible and is AC compatible
Note that you can't tweak SNR on fibre
shure
Grafter

@Oldjim.  Ah, my bad. Just come over from ADSL this week so still in that mode.  Thanks!
stef1989
Grafter

Quote from: shure
I would normally advise separates as they tend to run cooler than one box solutions and the OR modem seems to do the job anyway and once wall mounted (easy to do) is pretty unobtrusive.  You didn't mention budget but the more advanced you go the easier it is to raid the bank balance!
If it helps I use the Asus RT-N66U dual band router.  It has a built in print server which I find very useful, as well as much better range and signal strength than my previous.  It's available on Amazon for £85.  It''s not AC compatible, though, so if you want / need that it would cost you between £130-£160, depending on whether you wanted the latest greatest version.  I get a pretty good signal on both my Xbox One and Xbox 360, which are in different rooms.  Very easy to set up a guest network, too, if like me you have a teenage daughter whose friends can't survive without connecting to Facebook and Snapchat wherever they might be!
The Billion BiPAC 8800AXL modem router is in the £150 bracket and gets a lot of recommendations, too.  It's very good if you like tweaking your SNR to get the best connection possible and is AC compatible
If your budget doesn't stretch that far then the TP Link TD-W9980 combined modem / router for £65 seems to have a lot of fans.  It's a one-box solution that's not quite as powerful as the Asus but that might not be an issue depending on how many clients you have.

The Asus which you have seems to tick all the boxes and is half price at the moment too! Silly question but what does it mean by not AC compatible? I have the Xbox connected via ethernet cable and it's mainly just for streaming Netflix to the laptop and better signal around the house. Do i need better ethernet cable to connect to the Xbox?
jpds
Hooked

Quote from: stef1989
The Asus which you have seems to tick all the boxes and is half price at the moment too! Silly question but what does it mean by not AC compatible? I have the Xbox connected via ethernet cable and it's mainly just for streaming Netflix to the laptop and better signal around the house. Do i need better ethernet cable to connect to the Xbox?

AC is a WiFi standard, 802.11ac. To take advantage of its faster speeds and better connections you would need both an AC access point/router and AC compliant devices.
Since you're using a cable, it doesnt matter.
For what its worth, I've used the ASUS RT-N66U for the last 14 months or so on Plusnet Fibre, its worked very well, although I use the Merlin firmware, not the stock ASUS one.
shure
Grafter

AC is just the latest wireless standard but not many devices have it as yet.  Wireless n is most widely used and is plenty fast.  If your laptop is very new then check if it has an AC network adapter.  If it does then you may benefit from getting an AC router.  Otherwise wireless n will be less expensive.
Dual band will also allow you to stream to your laptop on the 5Ghz frequency (assuming your laptop adapter is compatible), which will give you better speeds and throughput (especially for HD).  As for the ethernet cable, any Cat5 should be fine (it'll be printed on the side of the cable).
If you have the Xbox connected via ethernet cable then wireless speeds won't be a issue anyway. The Asus has Gigabit ports so you'll get the fastest possible transfer rates.  As to the strength in the bedroom, it depends on what's between your router and the laptop (e.g. thick concrete walls?).  If that's the only issue currently then you might also consider powerline adapters, which just plug into the wall and allow you to connect your laptop in the bedroom.  For a little more, you can get ones which boost WiFi signal and allow you to extend your wireless range.  Overall it's less than the cost of a new router.
amcclean
Rising Star

I bought a tp-link Archer C8 AC1750 for £70 a few weeks ago on Amazon. PLenty of vent holes on the back to keep it cool. Easy to set up, ac 2.5 and 5 Mhz and works with IPTV out of the box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C8-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00OZG8ZDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442...
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Billion 8800NL.
stef1989
Grafter

Ordered the Asus RN66U router last night. The laptop has an N adaptor and the Xbox is connected via ethernet so no point in spending almost double for it to be AC.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

An excellent choice, Asus make superb routers. Smiley
stef1989
Grafter

Router arrived today and for some reason it's not connecting!
Done the set up and it's saying connected etc on the Asus setup page but it's got limited connectivity and when i click on the internet again it come up some BT Wholesale site saying to restart etc. Is there something i'm missing on setting it up as the Plusnet was the exact same but it actually connected like it should?
T1ffer

If your router is connected to the Openreach modem and is an ADSL Modem Router you'll need to disable the ADSL function as the Openreach modem handles that. Mine had to be changed to "Wireless Router Mode" in it's settings.