cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a new router - parental controls and scheduling per device would be great

pauljones123

Recommend a new router - parental controls and scheduling per device would be great

Anyone had experience with a new router for plusnet fibre that has dual band, scheduling per device (so that I can limit the kids web access to set hours) and parental controls.

7 REPLIES 7
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Recommend a new router - parental controls and scheduling per device would be great

There is no parental controls on the router - however there is Plusnet Safeguard which has network restriction which you can configure. With this any device connected to your Plusnet broadband will be unable to access websites you block.

For scheduling - most certainly. This can be configured on the router pages at http://192.168.1.254/ and click Plusnet Access Control. Scheduling works by using the device's MAC so be sure to know this. It may also have something like 'User's iPad'. You can set times and days for that device to be restricted.

If your kids are clever enough to change the MAC, the scheduling will not be effective.

Hope this helps
NE Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Recommend a new router - parental controls and scheduling per device would be great

Most (possibly all) AVM Fritz!Box routers have pretty decent parental controls (multiple scheduling profiles, whitelist, blacklist) but they're not the cheapest.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

TP-Link VR900

Works well, nice interface, separate "guest wi-fi network" (so you can keep the real network SSID hidden) as well as use MAC-filtering to only allow on the specific devices you want on, and parental controls - and yes, there is a schedule per device

And it's only £99.99 on that river website at the moment ...

Note that smartphones don't usually reconnect to hidden SSIDs ...

Manual too big to attach but you can find it on http://uk.tp-link.com/download/Archer-VR900_V1.html

pauljones123

Thanks guys, I'll try the Technicolour one first, sure when I got it 3-4 years ago it didn't have those features, or maybe I should have read the manual?!?!?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@pauljones123 Hi Paul, I was referring to the new Plusnet Hub One in my earlier post.

The same applies to the BT Hub 4 and 5.

Hope this helps Thumbs_Up

NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
sp1ke
Grafter

Another vote for the AVM Fritzbox here, should the Technicolour not meet your requirements.

medea
Grafter

I have used a Time Capsule, hard wired to my PC and networked printer with a dual band wireless network to various ipads, mobile phones and macbook and laptops over a period of 18+ months with set up managed using Airport Utility with software version 7.7.3 currently.  Kids have flown the nest but I do have visiting grandchildren!

Parental controls are entirely possible by restricting access to administrator status and using separate parental controls for each child based on the use of individual MAC address and linked time limits for each device.  Parental controls have been in use by Apple for some time and further information is readily available on the internet.