cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently upgraded to Fibre- Please help

Nora177

Recently upgraded to Fibre- Please help

Hi

I upgraded to Fibre around 2 months ago after having really low speeds with the free broadband, but have to say I am really disspointed. I am still constantly waiting for short videos to upload. Its a slight improvement but nothing special. I use wifi as we use the internet mainly on the phone.

Can anyone help me to see if there is any issues affecting the speeds we are getting?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Recently upgraded to Fibre- Please help

Fibre Unlimited (38/2mb) only offers an 'upto' 2 mbps upload speed, so this may not be much faster than what you had previously, typically 0.4 to 1 mbps with ADSL broadband.  This is probably why your videos still seem slow to upload.

'Fibre Extra' (76/19mb) offers 'upto' 19 mbps upload speed btw.

(fwiw, Talktalk recently upgraded all their 38/2mb customers to 38/9.5mb speeds, and we can only speculate that Plusnet will have to offer the same to existing customers with Fibre Unlimited some time in the future.)

If you don't have a computer which is wired direct to your Hub One router, but you have an IOS or Android phone, suggest you download and install Ookla's speedtest.net app, just to perform a basic speed check.

Also, you can log into the Hub One by pointing a web browser to 192.168.1.254

Go to Troubleshooting -> Help Desk menu.

See what is reported for:

6. Data Rate - should report 'up to' 39,999 kbps and 2,000 kbps speeds

8. Noise Margin

9. LIne attenuation

Note the page may show your plusnet username, so you may wish to edit it out, if you choose to upload an image here.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Nora177

Hi thank u for your response.
Here is the info you asked for

Nora177

This is the result of my speed test
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The Hub One image you provided seems to confirm your Hub One is connected at the maximum speed provided Fibre Unlimited 40/2mb product.

UPDATED: The speedtest image shows upload speed of 1.86mbps. This is consistent with the Hub One's 1,999 kbps uplink speed.

The slow 27mbps download speed, looks like your IOS device is perhaps using 2.4 GHz wifi.

This thread 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

As mentioned previously, the only way to improve the upload speed would be to upgrade to 'Fibre Extra'.  Estimate of maximum upload speed for your fibre line can be obtained here:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Or wait patiently for Plusnet to make an announcement in near future. (Ofcom are expecting to introduce regulated, ie. cheaper, prices for 40/10mb fibre from 1st April)

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/FTTC-40-2-talk-talk-now-offer-40-10/td-p/1464528

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Nora177

Thank you so much for the info.
Gonna wait and see