cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently switched to fibre and it’s awful!

Cyclonestu

Recently switched to fibre and it’s awful!

Hi,

After 2 years of great plusnet broadband I’ve recently switched to Fibre. And it’s awful!

Slow, unresponsive and drops connection loads. New router is in exactly the same position the last one was in.

Is there anything Plusnet can do to improve this service?

It’s so frustrating.

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Recently switched to fibre and it’s awful!

Welcome to the Forum @Cyclonestu

Have you reported this as a fault? If not, I would run through the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but makes Plusnet aware of your problem (they won't know if you haven't reported a fault), they have to look at it, and gets the problem into the queue for action.

Please let us know how you get on.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Our tests aren't showing any issues.

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection?

This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here and I'd also try the steps here too.

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, please can you run a speed test at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com completing the further diagnostics at the end? (Might need to use Internet Explorer)

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Cyclonestu

Hi, We’re still having wifi connection drop outs all the time (see a common alert attached).  Im never more than 5m away from the router! How do I make an official complaint to plusnet? We cannot go on with sub standard broadband. Its becoming very frustrating.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If it’s a WiFi issue, then you don’t have substandard broadband (the link between the router and the exchange). What were the results of following Gandalf’s links on checking out the WiFi settings?

Try using inssider V3 (free) to examine the use of the WiFi spectrum in your area.

What device are you using? Does it have not 2.4 & 5 GHz band WiFi capability? Do both bands use the same SSID?

@Gandalf would it be correct to believe that the VR plots show good stable broadband connectivity?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Cyclonestu

Wireless problems such as these is often associated with the two wireless bands, 2.4 and 5 GHz coming syncronised by default on the Hub One. Separate them as shown in this link https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...  then try each in turn. Use the best. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Cyclonestu,

I'm sorry to hear that your wifi connection is poor. If you've not done so already, please can you run through the wireless guides here and I would also recommend that you try separating the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless bands as @Baldrick1 has suggested.

If the issue persists once you've been through these steps, please let us know. We're unable to guarantee the performance of your connection over wireless as the signal can be affected by numerous external factors that our outside of our control but we will do our best to support you with this.

I've tested your line again and can confirm that this isn't picking up any underlying connection issues. For reference, today's test result is as follows:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 981.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Interleaving On

and your connection is also looking nice and stable in the radius logs:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Cyclonestu

Thanks all for the help, I will try this when I get home tonight, and let you know what happens.