cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently getting frequent wifi dropouts and awful signal strength

daveo66
Dabbler

Re: Recently getting frequent wifi dropouts and awful signal strength

I've attached a couple of screenshots from a wifi analyser.  I'm not in range of any other wifi networks so I can pretty much use any channel I want.  There is no non network electrical stuff running that could output RF to interfere with the network.

Wired connections are fine.  Some Wifi devices seem to be more resilient than others - Humax box is good.  XBOX not so good.  Android phones are bad.  Anything apple is very very bad.

Wifi used to have a fairly good signal throughout the house and most of the garden.  Now it is good just downstairs in the house.  Anywhere else and you are pushing your luck to connect.

I do not have another router to try.  I smashed my old sky hub up using a hammer - which was fun at the time but in retrospect I'm beginning to look back at my Sky days with increasing nostalgia.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@daveo66,

I think, at this stage, the next step is to replace the hub you have with a new one to make sure this isn't what is causing the problems. I've done this and it should be with you in a couple of days. 

daveo66
Dabbler

Many thanks.  Hopefully this is going to sort the issue.

daveo66
Dabbler

I got the new router today but it is not the same as the old one.  The new one is tiny - about half the size of the old one.  I plugged it in anyway, waited for 15 minutes, and I put my username/password into it but it will not connect no matter what I did.  I am thinking that perhaps I was sent the wrong one.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @daveo66 

As far as I can see, you were sent a standard Hub1. 

Looking at your connection it appears you managed to obtain a connection - can you confirm this? 

Thanks, 

MoR

daveo66
Dabbler

I tried to connect with the replacement for maybe an hour but at no time did it say connected or give me an internet connection.  Eventually I plugged the old router back in and put the replacement back in the box it arrived in. 

daveo66
Dabbler

Just searched for images of plusnet routers.  What was sent to me waas a hub zero, not a hub one.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @daveo66 

You are on a fibre product - a Hub Zero will not allow a connection as it is ADSL only. 

Checking your account I can see that a Hub One was ordered - can you possibly post a picture of the one you got so we can confirm? 

Thanks, 

MoR

daveo66
Dabbler

Here's what was in the box.

daveo66
Dabbler

DSC_0092.JPG

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

es, that is a Hub 0 which as already has been said will not work on VDSL.

Hopefully one of the staff members will sort out the right one for you/ I can't believe they sent you that!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @daveo66

I'm genuinely sorry and perplexed as to how you've managed to be sent a Hub Zero in error.

I've just manually ordered you a Hub One and you'll get confirmation of that shortly - please let us know how you get on once it arrives.

Best wishes

Dave

daveo66
Dabbler

I've been running the new router for over a week and it's not really fixed anything.  The upstairs of my house has limited wireless connectivity.  The router sometimes connect to the xbox and sometimes doesn't ina random way.  And a few times a day the router red lights for a few minutes.

I'm not sure I really want to have to lay a basic ethernet network around my house but it looks like it's that, or buy an expensive router.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @daveo66

I've checked your connection and I can only see two drops recently which you can see here. I'm unsure whether these have been generated by you resetting the router, but I'd recommend monitoring this and letting us know if further drops occur.

Sorry to hear that the wifi coverage hasn't improved, have you considered power line adapters as an alternative to an ethernet cable? You can get these with built in wifi I believe.

Best wishes

Dave