Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent update of Windows 10 & router problem

Highlighted
Dabbler

Re: Recent update of Windows 10 & router problem

Hi Lowestoft75

They have supposedly pushed the fix to my router but it has not worked.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 8

@LarkAscending

Possibly not related to your problem, I had dreadful problems with Windows 10 WiFi which considerably lessened when I renamed my 5GHz WiFi to be different to the 2.4GHz WiFi.

It's still not the greatest part of Windows 10 but the random speed variations and slowing to a crawl reduced.

I am the satisfied customer....
Highlighted
Dabbler

@markhawkin

Interesting observation. I have been using the PC non-wifi with a long cable instead. It is of course faster but I still have problems with the err timeouts

I am not sure what you mean by renaming the 5GHz wifi to be different to the 2.4GHz WiFi. If you can elucidate I would be a grateful bunny who would hop at the chance of sniffing out a new remedy!

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 8

With a router that supports both 5GHz and 2.4GHz by default the names on both bands are the same allowing a device which supports both to roam between them.

I have an Apple airport that supports both and I found that renaming the 5GHz made WiFi on my windows PC much better.

I am the satisfied customer....
Dabbler

@markhawkin having googled a bit I note that my Wireless adapter on laptop is 811.n 2230 and the router is single band so 2.4Ghz. Could upgrading both of them help? I use TP LINK plugs in the house for my bluray player which I use for Netflix etc. Can you use three of these? Eg the one plugged into the router, then one for the bluray and one for a laptop (cable into it) or would that dilute my signal strength? Too many variables here!

Highlighted
Grafter

Please would Plusnet post the details of the fix to the 582n.

Do you need to change the user.ini file or maybe use the CLI or is it a firmware upgrade?

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 50

Have a look here.

Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Highlighted
Grafter

Thanks, I realized  after making the post that I use the ADSL (not FTTC broadband) version of the router the firmwre versions is something like 8.4.4.J