Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent drop in speed

andrewwhyman
Dabbler

Recent drop in speed

Hi all,

I have recently found that I've lost around 6Mbps of speed in just a short time (not a lot but it is out of the norm). My line normally hangs around 72-74Mbps mark but recently dropped to 67Mbps. These sync speed drops and increases you can see below on the solid blue line (dotted is max attainable speed).

My line's SNR has not been stable for quite a long time but I never narrowed the issue down and it was never considered an issue because the line was staying synced. As you can see recently however I had 4 resyncs in 2 weeks each dropping my speed further.

Can someone check to see if anything bad is being reported with my line? Anything I can try my end? As you can see in June I was for some reason able to re-gain the full 80Mbps for a short time and then the line went back to being it's old self - again no explanation. This is the lowest the line has dropped since 2014 when there was a line card fault. I'm guessing this won't be increased cross-talk as it's too big of a drop?

Maybe I'm being paranoid? Smiley

Thanks

The below shows 6 months of line data. Key colour is in the grey area. Solid is sync speed. Dotted is attainable speed.

fttc.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Recent drop in speed

You think that's a big drop --- " I'm guessing this won't be increased cross-talk as it's too big of a drop?".  It's next to nothing. You can get 20-30% drops caused by crosstalk if you're hit by closely coupled crosstalk interference in your cable bundle. I guess you are well within your estimated speeds so there is a high probability that PlusNet will not be keen to do anything about it.

andrewwhyman
Dabbler

Re: Recent drop in speed

I didn't realise cross talk would cause a drop that large actually. I'd assumed it was small given the very progressive drops I experienced after fibre went live (I was the first customer on the cab according to the install tech).

You're right I'm within the estimated speed, 74Mbps clean, 55Mbps impacted. I'm a preventative type person, if I notice an issue I want to fix it before it gets worse (much like you would on a car).