cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent disconnections and speed throttled

strophic
Dabbler

Recent disconnections and speed throttled

I had issues a few weeks ago with disconnections that would last for 5-10 minutes or so and then sort themselves out. While this was happening the land line was totally dead too. Someone on phone support asked me to keep an eye out but everything seemed to sort itself out, and I assumed it was perhaps something outside my premises (streets near me are being wired for fttp at the moment).

We had another brief disconnection on wednesday and it seems the line has now been throttled so I'm only getting 18megs down. I raised a ticket, but from past experience I know support on the forum has been really good - if possible could someone take a look at this and see whether my profile needs reset? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
strophic
Dabbler

Re: Recent disconnections and speed throttled

In case it adds anything, I gather from another thread that the sync speed isn't something plusnet controls on fibre, but just in case I'm using the wrong terms, here's what I see when I check my account:

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 37 - 55Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 7 - 9Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 31.8Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 18.8Mbps
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @strophic,

I'm sorry that your speed has dropped and for any inconvenience that this has caused you. I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up the cause of this from here and indicates that the line is currently syncing at the full 55mbps down and 10mbps up.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 55.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 320.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-12-02T15:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 54.9 Mbps 54.9 Mbps 54.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 900.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 0.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-12-15T14:46:27.080+00:00 2019-12-15T15:01:27.080+00:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We'll need to do some troubleshooting to try and narrow down the cause of the fault. I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL If these checks don't resolve the problem, the next step would be to connect your router directly to the test socket, which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection stabilises. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. Please see the following guide for instructions on how to connect to the test socket. https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Please let us know if your speed doesn't improve once you've done these checks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
strophic
Dabbler

Thanks for this Emily; really appreciate you looking into it.

The router was already connected to the master socket, via a microfilter alongside the landline handset. I've left the phone unplugged, taken the faceplate off and plugged the microfilter directly into the test socket. Speed still won't go above 18Mbps. I tried with both the openreach modem connected to my own router (my usual setup, which has worked fine for the past three years) and with the plusnet hub one, which I was supplied with but don't normally use.

Just to confirm (though I know faults can develop over time) nothing has changed in my house lately, and there's no other equipment connected to the telephone line.

strophic
Dabbler

(I wasn't sure if it needed to be plugged into the test socket for a while, so I've left it like that - please let me know if I should put the faceplate back on!)

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks @strophic.

Ideally you'd leave the connection in the test socket, although if that's not possible it's no problem.

Are you able to run a speed test (wired if possible), screen shot it and send us over the result?

strophic
Dabbler

Thank you! I have left it in the test socket and things seem to have stabilised. It's not back up to full speed but I'm getting ~37Mbps and ping is back down to 7 or 8ms from three times that. Is there any drawback to leaving it plugged into the test socket permanently?

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @strophic,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm pleased that things seem to be settling. The faceplate has its own ADSL microfilter so removing it won't cause a problem if leaving the connection in the test socket, as long as you have a separate ADSL microfilter between it and the router.

Any questions, please come back to us.

Thanks - LF