cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Wrong Package?

petie86
Dabbler

Receiving Wrong Package?

Recently switched to Plusnet from EE, switched from regular Fibre with EE to Fibre Extra with Plusnet, was given a guaranteed download speed of 32 Mbps and upload in the region of 5-6 Mbps, I know it's still a relatively new connection and they say to wait for DRM or whatever, but every time I have ever switched I have gotten most of the advertised speed almost the same day, I am currently only getting 25 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload, which is in line with a normal fibre package, not the extra.

19 REPLIES 19
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Receiving Wrong Package?

If you can only get 32Mbps I'm very surprised the system allowed you to order the fibre extra package.

What are your expected speeds which you can get from here and what does your router show on the troubleshooting>helpdesk tab?

Screenshots are preferable but remember to hide any personal data.

petie86
Dabbler

Sorry, 32Mbps was minimum guaranteed speed, so if they cannot provide that then i can leave, rhink they estimated at the time about 48Mbps,, with that link saying roughly 51 - 53
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @petie86, welcome to the forum.

I have run tests on your line and we've detected a external fault that more than likely will be the thing causing the issues with your broadband. I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 19/06/2019 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest an engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner. I've raised a fault ticket on your account and placed it on hold until the morning of 20/06/2019 so our faults team can check to see if your issue has been resolved. If you haven't heard from our faults team feel free to drop us a message on here and we'll happily chase this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
petie86
Dabbler

Engineer visited this morning, seems that only 1 of the 2 wires at the cabinet were connected, now both are done, I just tested my speed to be 60Mbps download and 7.7 Mbps upload, better than I was expecting.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @petie86,

I've just checked the fault and the engineer notes mention the cab fault. Just tested the broadband and it's testing just over 60 line profile too which is really good for your line. Monitor your connection over the coming days and let us know if you see any further problems. 

petie86
Dabbler

Speed seems good now, but getting a number of disconnects a day, can really be quite annoying, can never seem to stream a full film without a disconnect. surely after a week, the testing should be over and not still disconnecting me?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having connection issues.

It's certainly intermittent as shown below

I'll get your open fault updated shortly with the next steps

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
petie86
Dabbler

So Plusnet want to send an engineer again to determine the fault, and i would be charged £65 if it is something at my end, well for a starters I've had a new line installed by Openreach within the last 12 month's, the only equipment I have is the Plusnet router, so I don't see what the problem could be, also looking at the chart shown, all disconnects seem to happen in the early hours of the morning and in the late evening, can disregard the Monday as that is when the engineer visited, so if one did show up, Its probably not going to show any problems as the problem only seems to occur outside the working hours of the engineers, being 9am till 6pm.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @petie86,

I have updated the fault ticket, please click here to view my response.

Please let us know once you've replied back to it.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
petie86
Dabbler

I will not be having another Engineer visit, it is pointless, these problems miraculously happen outside their working hours, and as per usual they will detect nothing wrong, as per many threads on these forums with the EXACT same issue, it seems the problem is with Plusnet and not people's lines or equipment, 

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/WAN-Ethernet-7-Down/td-p/1572205

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Almost-Daily-PPPoE-disconnects/td-p/1479523 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Switched-from-Sky-now-frequent-disconnects/td-p/162720...

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Internet-disconnecting-almost-everyday-since-joining-Pl...

with many many more describing the same problems, the only thing I can surmise is the noise level is set to low for Plusnet, where other providers such as sky and EE have higher levels set and therefore fewer problems, looks like I am destined not to be with Plusnet, I cannot take multiple days off work for multiple engineer visits just for them to come and say there is no problem, I cannot live with this level of disconnects either, I work all day, and have a few hours each evening to stream television etc which is impossible with Plusnet, who cannot provide a basic service. a whole month I've had nothing but disconnects, some days just a few in the evening, some days many, but each disconnect takes ~ 5 minutes for the router to regain a connection, totally killing any possibility of streaming.

20:57:32, 10 Jul. (512742.740000) PPPoE is down after 37 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
20:16:39, 10 Jul. (510289.700000) PPPoE is down after 203 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
16:48:28, 10 Jul. (497798.900000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

16:44:28, 10 Jul. (497558.490000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
16:40:34, 10 Jul. (497324.190000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
16:35:25, 10 Jul. (497016.010000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

16:31:03, 10 Jul. (496753.440000) PPPoE is down after 5 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
16:22:11, 10 Jul. (496221.890000) PPPoE is down after 12 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
16:06:27, 10 Jul. (495277.410000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
15:58:18, 10 Jul. (494788.540000) PPPoE is down after 1 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
15:53:18, 10 Jul. (494488.960000) PPPoE is down after 10 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

That is today alone and is really not a service at all.

Looks like switching providers is my only option.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi @petie86,

I'm sorry to read you feel that leaving would be your only option at this point and I apologise for the frustration caused to you.

It may be worth noting that if you did chose to move providers within the openreach network the fault would more than likely follow you as its the same line been used. We are more than happy to book the engineer visit for you, please do reply to that ticket you wish to go ahead with it. Please do get back to us if you reply via the ticket so we can pick it up and engage our suppliers.

We are always here to help, just give us a nudge should you need further assistance.

Thanks.

petie86
Dabbler

I dont think i would continue to have the fault as often with a different provider, my previous provider I did have disconnects maybe a couple of times a week which I could live with, but not many times a day, and at the time of day where i would be using it most, i have ordered a bt openreach router to see if that resolves/reduces the issue, but if that doesnt work then leaving is my only option.
Another engineer visit is pointless, as per the many other threads on here with the same symptoms, engineer visits are useless as they cannot find the fault which I believe is noise related.

I'm not sure if Plusnet could increase the dB range of my service to see if that improves reliability?
Also what is the situation regarding engineer charges if they find no fault?
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

This is exactly why I, as a long time customer, moved elsewhere.

After numerous Openreach visits, finding nothing wrong, changing the master socket faceplate twice and PN saying my line "passed" their tests, blaming my internal wiring/equipment, took the fault to another provider. Two weeks later, one OR visit - bingo, external wiring fault found and fixed. I even provided the clue/hint that my phone line was noisy.

So yes, if there is a fault that is moved with the service, there's a better chance of it being sorted out properly. Yes, OR should have been more efficient but PN should have been more pro-active. To be fair, I was never charged for the fruitless OR visits probably because their engineers did tell me, when asked, that their report would be such that there would be no charge to me.

petie86
Dabbler

I have just installed a BT Openreach Modem with a TP-Link router, but my speed is only 8Mbps download, could my profile be reset, I'll give this a few days to a week to see if any improvement in reliability of connection, if not then I will have to leave.