cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonable Expectations

Steviebotnet

Reasonable Expectations

Hi Guys,
After lots of issues wit my install, my fibre finally went live yesterday.
The line speed is 77.5 mbps, PN estimate I should get around 66mbps and I'm actually getting around 45-50mbps down and between 15mbps and 18mbps up which I'm fairly happy with.
However I went to download a large file from my web sever and the actual download was 1.5mbps, I talked with a friend who had told me he was around 8-9mbps from Steam so I tried updating a game on Steam just in case it was my server that had perhaps throttled download, and again around 1.5mpbs.
I know for around the next 10 days or so I should expect some settling down, however what can I reasonably expect once everything settles down in terms of actual DL/UL speeds? If it's stays at the 1.5mbps mark I'd be cheaper going back to ADSL2.
Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
shure
Grafter

Re: Reasonable Expectations

at the risk of asking the obvious are you talking MB/s or Mb/s?
moarjin
Grafter

Are you testing your speed over a wifi connection?
moarjin
Grafter

Also, Steam tends to tell you speeds in Mega Bytes whereas quoted speeds are in Mega Bits
b1ggles
Grafter

...and obviously the 10 days for fibre is a myth.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Also, where is your webserver, and what is in between that and the device you downloaded the file to/from? Speed of connections to/from each device, wireless or wired connections all make a difference.
Steviebotnet

Quote from: shure
at the risk of asking the obvious are you talking MB/s or Mb/s?

I'm talking MB Smiley
Quote from: moarjin
Are you testing your speed over a wifi connection?

I have done but I'm downloading using Cat5
Quote from: moarjin
Also, Steam tends to tell you speeds in Mega Bytes whereas quoted speeds are in Mega Bits

Had no idea cheers!
Quote from: b1ggles
...and obviously the 10 days for fibre is a myth.

Obviously not obvious to me  Tongue
Quote from: Mustrum
Also, where is your webserver, and what is in between that and the device you downloaded the file to/from? Speed of connections to/from each device, wireless or wired connections all make a difference.

Web server is in France, the server has a 100 megabit upload so should pose an issues.
All this being said, after giving it another bash today things seemed to have improved somewhat. I'm now getting 5.5 on Steam which is nice. The server is still only giving me 1.5 mega bytes per second both down and up, so I'll talk to the host about that, unless for some weird reason PN throttle FTP traffic?
24 hours in and things have improved, I'll keep an eye on the speeds and see how I get on.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Steviebotnet
I'm talking MB Smiley
It's always worth being careful with your units. In your original post you used 'mb' throughout and it just doesn't make sense. This isn't us being pedantic - 'mb' is simply not the same as 'MB'. In fact 'mb' if it means anything at all means 'millibit' which is one thousandths of a bit.
A 75mb/s connection is truly awful. An asthmatic duck with one leg could do better walking backwards.
A 75MB/s connection on the other hand would be pretty awesome - the kind of connection speed most of us could only dream about.
A 75Mb/s connection is more likely what you have - that would be a pretty good FTTC connection.
This stuff isn't specific to computers:It's called the SI system and is used throughout the world (even the USA when it matters):
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
Now if you're downloading from somewhere most software uses 'MB'. If your connection is 75Mb/s under ideal conditions it should allow you to download at a rate of around 9MB/s (75/8 give or take some overhead).
unless for some weird reason PN throttle FTP traffic?
No but there are ongoing issues that impact what are called single threaded downloads - that's where just one download stream is running. Check out the lengthy thread titled 'Capacity issues - continued'. Alternatively it may just be that the particular route the packets are taking to get from the server to you has issues.