cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow, laggy connection - anything going on?

bartstope
Grafter

Really slow, laggy connection - anything going on?

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if it's just me, but over the last few days i've found my fibre connection speeds to be very laggy - taking a long time for websites to fully load and all the images to appear.

typing in a an address at times takes a long time to resolve. I tried using Google DNS but that hasn't really made much of a difference.

A speed test shows my speeds as expected - indeed, I downloaded the new android studio last night and it came down pretty quickly.

even late at night - past midnight and out of peak time, the performance is the same.

but it is intermittent. sometimes it seems absolutely fine for a little bit and then goes back to sluggishness.

It's been working fine up until the last few days - speeds have been great - and i've not changed anything on the network - here are my router stats in case there is anything amiss, but look good to me.

Gave my router a reboot a few days ago.... seemed to solve the problem but back to sluggishness again.

any clues as to what is going on here?

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 Last updated 06/02/16
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 2 days, 09:02:03
6. Data rate: 1999 / 39952
7. Maximum data rate: 14791 / 49991
8. Noise margin: 19.9 / 9.9
9. Line attenuation: 26.3 / 19.5
10. Signal attenuation: 18.3 / 19.4
11. Data sent/received: 727.2 MB / 15.5 GB
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: XXXXXXXXX
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: 13
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: XXXXXXXXX1
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: 40
21. Firewall: Default
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

2 REPLIES 2
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Really slow, laggy connection - anything going on?

Our tests aren't showing any issues and there's no congestion reports in your area.

Is this on multiple devices?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bartstope
Grafter

Re: Really slow, laggy connection - anything going on?

Hello Matthew,

Yep - I'm seeing the laggyness on both wired and wireless devices. I've just tried now and everything is nice and quick again.

Maybe it is just peak time evening traffic?

Strange because the actual throughput using a speed test is exactly where i'd expect it to be and the laggyness *seems* like it's caused by dns lookups taking a long time (or even timing out), but trying google dns didn't really improve things.

I'm using the one hub and it's been rock solid... one feature i do use is i've got a usb memory stick plugged into the back and set up as a share just make life easier with moving files around devices... is it possible that using this, copying big files around causes the router to run out of ram?

i'm not copying files all the time and i would expect there to be some impact whilst the router is copying data to the memory stick from the lan... but i'm seeing this laggyness with general browsing with nothing else going on.

i can see reading the forums that some people seem to report poorer performance when connected to certain gateways.... not sure if it's a placebo thing or not, but i happen to be connected to lo0.12.Central12.pcl-bng04.plus.net... is that a "good" or a "bad" one?