cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow fibre speed

stuclark1975
Grafter

Really slow fibre speed

I swapped to PlusNet fibre unlimited from Sky fibre unlimited, expecting to get at least the same speeds as I was with Sky (who aren't known for providing the best service)
However, despite my modem / router showing a line speed of 65 Mbps, I'm only getting 22 - 29 Mbps when doing speed tests - even BT Wholesale's speed tests show my service to be "performing poorly"
... the line and cabling is the same; Openreach replaced the master socket, but that shouldn't make any difference; and I've used two different makes / models of vdsl modem; yet the speed is consistently poor.
What's going on?
24 REPLIES 24
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Really slow fibre speed

Quote from: stuclark1975
I was with Sky (who aren't known for providing the best service)
Says who? Sky are one of the best ISPs and have an excellent network. I'd be off to them like a shot if I could get a static IP address.
However, despite my modem / router showing a line speed of 65 Mbps, I'm only getting 22 - 29 Mbps when doing speed tests
Sounds like the classic profile issue to me. Might be best to go to PN online chat and try and snag someone. If it is your profile it can be fixed pretty quickly.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you could also check your Current Line Speed - see my sig
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @stuclark1975
I've run some fault diagnostics which don't show any obvious causes for this.
Glad to see you've reported a fault though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stuclark1975
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
Says who? Sky are one of the best ISPs and have an excellent network. I'd be off to them like a shot if I could get a static IP address.

You can get a static IP from Sky; but only on the 78Mb deal. They don't advertise the fact though
stuclark1975
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi @stuclark1975
I've run some fault diagnostics which don't show any obvious causes for this.
Glad to see you've reported a fault though.

I logged a fault, but so far (2 days later) no one has got back to me about it!
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: stuclark1975
You can get a static IP from Sky;
Sometimes you can Smiley
I called them a few months ago. They said it might be available but I'd have to wait until my connection was live then place an order and see what happened. Clearly I wasn't going to switch to them in the hope that I might be able to get a static IP address  Angry
stuclark1975
Grafter

Ahh, maybe. I was already with them before I asked for a static, but they then turned it on instantly
dick:quote
stuclark1975
Grafter

This issue is still occuring - after all this time BT / Plusnet don't seem to be able to find or resolve the issue I'm seeing.
Since removing the "Pro Add On" the speed has gone up slightly; giving a download speed of aprox 40Mbps; however I can only get 8 - 9 Mbps upload, no matter what I try!
(when I was with Sky Broadband, I consistently got 18 - 19Mbps upload speed on the same phone line!)
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear about these issues. I have looked at your account with a colleague today and he has recommended speaking to a particular section of our suppliers, tomorrow when they are open. It is not a guaranteed fix or improvement but it's worth talking to them to see what they say about this. I will take personal control and get back to you tomorrow about this. Thank you.
stuclark1975
Grafter

This is getting beyond a joke - I'm now getting a whopping 29Mbps download and 12Mbps upload speed!
It seems no one at Plusnet is actually doing anything about this. I'm beginning to think I should have stayed with Sky! (in fact, seeing as this service hasn't worked properly since installation, do I now have valid grounds for early termination?)
Attached is the latest result from the BT Wholesale testing site
stuclark1975
Grafter

Oh yippee; now I get 2Mbps on the BT testing site!
Grastart

I recently had a work ticket out for slow fibre speed. When the fibre was first installed the engineer reported 40 plus on the line socket. However the BTWPT showed  varying speeds between 4 and 20mbs. After several contacts with plusnet service staff, the problem remained and a further visit by an engineer was arranged. 
I previously had pop up messages from the Avast anti virus system that I was running, offering to ''speed up your computer''. To do this was by an ''upgrade'' at an additional cost. This aroused my suspicion and  prompted me to uninstall Avast and install M Security Essentials.
The speed immediately shot up 56 mbs and has been around that ever since. My main pc is hard wired to the router and the BT fibre cabinet is within 50 metres of my property, so I should expect good speeds. My laptop is operating on Wifi and that is showing speeds of 36 to 40. The extra visit by the engineer was subsequently found not to be necessary.
I mention all this to suggest, that a similar check on your anti virus security system may bring similar results.
It has been suggested on the web, that certain anti virus security providers slow machines down, and then offer to speed them back up again by charging for a (so called) upgrade?
Hope this is helpful.
Zico
Grafter

Evening Stu,
You're not alone with the slow speeds. Take a look at my recent fun and games:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,146345.0.html
You have at least had a response to your ticket unlike me  Angry
stuclark1975
Grafter

Quote from: Grastart
I recently had a work ticket out for slow fibre speed. When the fibre was first installed the engineer reported 40 plus on the line socket. However the BTWPT showed  varying speeds between 4 and 20mbs. After several contacts with plusnet service staff, the problem remained and a further visit by an engineer was arranged.  
I previously had pop up messages from the Avast anti virus system that I was running, offering to ''speed up your computer''. To do this was by an ''upgrade'' at an additional cost. This aroused my suspicion and  prompted me to uninstall Avast and install M Security Essentials. The speed immediately shot up 56 mbs and has been around that ever since. My main pc is hard wired to the router and the BT fibre cabinet is within 50 metres of my property, so I should expect good speeds. My laptop is operating on Wifi and that is showing speeds of 36 to 40. The extra visit by the engineer was subsequently found not to be necessary.
I mention all this to suggest, that a similar check on your anti virus security system may bring similar results.
It has been suggested on the web, that certain anti virus security providers slow machines down, and then offer to speed them back up again by charging for a (so called) upgrade?
Hope this is helpful.

I work in IT, specifically networking and internet related technologies; so yes, while you're absolutely correct that some AV and "protection" programmes can cause more trouble than they solve, I know categorically that this is not the problem I'm facing