cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow download speeds

moonmirage

Really slow download speeds

I've just started experiencing really slow download speeds.  Spoke to an adviser on Saturday evening who said everything looks OK their end.  Support Team have opened Question 137047523 

Chat reference:4295914921

I've switched my PC from wifi and directly plugged it into the cable modem and the issue is still present.

The connection seems to give me approx 1.5Mb download and 8Mb upload.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed   returns the following

Telephone number:01793 xxxxxx

Phone exchange:TOOTHILL

Estimated line speed:55Mb (This may vary between 72.9Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-10-27 20:43:33

Current line speed:2 Mb

Can you offer any advice.

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Really slow download speeds

Next step is the BT Speedtest further diagnostics http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

moonmirage

That gives me

Ping Lat 26.25 ms

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.83 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-55.62 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 55.62 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In which case it is extremely likely that you were given a load of garbage by the rep

Try Chat and ask that the Plusnet profile is changed from 2Mb to 55.6Mb to match the BT IP profile

moonmirage

the technical support seems really lacking...

This all started when I agreed to extend my contract for an additional 18 months.  I suspect something odd happened as I got an email with the following;

"Your broadband product change is now complete"

I've cancelled the 18 mth extension and will be looking elsewhere.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

How are the speeds looking now? From what I can see everything should be back to normal .

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
moonmirage

Yes - everything is now back to normal.

However, I have 2 weekends a year which are free from work and children and this was one. Over the w/end I couldn't use Netflix/Amazon prime or gaming services.  The plusnet support was useless as I was told there was nothing wrong with the line and then later to log a fault.  I've since been told a wrong setting was applied to my account - which I mentioned was a possibility when I contacted support on Sunday (as this was indicated by another forum member). 

I am assuming that this whole issue was due to the marketing people offering me a £5 discount if I sign up for an additional 18 mths - which I did the proceeding Friday before the issue started.  If this is the case, the plusnet retentions marketing offer has directly led to a customer leaving.  Well done.