cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow download speeds but fast upload

FIXED
N0rthernM0nkey

Really slow download speeds but fast upload

OK, so a bit of history. I've spent the past 12 months with Plusnet. The place I lived had a really slow connection due to the quality of the lines to the property and the distance from the exchange (just one of the plus points of living in the middle of nowhere I guess!)

I've recently moved to a new property with a much better connection speed. Line estimate was 60-80mb with a minimum guaranteed of 55mb. The line was activated on Tuesday but for the past 2 days the download speed has been in the region of 2-3mb still. I spoke to a customer service rep yesterday who said it was probably due to the line stabilisation period and it should be fine by a week on Saturday, however, this didn't make any sense to me. Why would it drop the connection speed down so low?

I've followed a few links on here and managed to find my the section of the Plusnet site that tells you what profile your account is on and low and behold it still thinks I'm on the old exchange with the old profile, which has a maximum line speed of 2.1mb. Profile attached below:

Postcode:

Phone exchange:WOODSEAVES

Estimated line speed:1Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2017-08-01 11:33:05

Current line speed:2.1 Mb

Anyone on here that could look into this so I don't have to phone back customer service again and go through explaining everything? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Really slow download speeds but fast upload

Fix

Hi there.

Firstly I'm sorry to see this wasn't fixed when you called our support team.

You're right in thinking that your account profile is too low and affecting your speeds.

The way the majority of connections route across our network, this profile shouldn't impact your service at all, but due to how we handle the assignment of static IPs it does.

I've increased the profile now to match your current sync rate of 51mbps. If you reboot your router you should see a much higher speed than 2mbps.

That said 51mbps is still below where we'd expect so I'd recommend trying the steps Here then report a fault to us at Here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
N0rthernM0nkey

That seems to have sorted the problem. I'm getting a test speed now of between 35-40mb which is a bit more realistic seeing as I'm not plugged into the master socket and I'm testing via WiFi and the line will still be stabilising. Thanks for the help and I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or so.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to hear your speeds are a lot better Thumbs_Up

Let us know over here if you need any further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet