Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow connection last 2 days @ similar time of day

Davexxx
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Really slow connection last 2 days @ similar time of day

OK - is that a lead from the HH5 'Broadband DSL' socket to the wall box 'test socket' (behind plate held with 2 screws) ?   If so, I'll do it in the next few minutes and try and let you know.

[Photo of HH5 rear connections added]

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Davexxx,

Yep, that's the one.

As soon as we're in that socket, I can run further testing.

Davexxx
Rising Star

OK - now HH5 connected to test socket ...

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @Davexxx, the issue is now not showing - which would indicate that this is an internal issue.

I'd recommend that you now put your setup back together bit by bit. The first step being the router plugged into the re-attached faceplate.

You're going to need to leave the setup in each configuration for around an hour so that you're able to identify which piece of kit causes the issue to reoccur.

I can appreciate that this can be a bit of a chore, however, with it seemingly being a setup issue there could well be an engineer charge if one was sent out and we absolutely want to avoid having to pass this on to you.

Davexxx
Rising Star

OK - I appreciate the money-saving sentiments !

The HH5 'Broadband DSL' is now re-connected to BT wall socket (with test socket cover replaced).   This might be intentional - but please note that this is bypassing the white BT Openreach Fibre Modem arrangement, as per the photo.   Will leave for an hour or so.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Davexxx, thanks for your post.

Now that the faceplate has been replaced, I'm detecting the issue again.

The thing to bear in mind here is that the master socket faceplate is essentially your connection to all of your extension sockets - meaning that it could be anything plugged into an extension at this point.

If nothing else is plugged in to any extension, we know then that it is the faceplate that's to blame and you can grab one of those for a few quid from your local electrical retailers.

Davexxx
Rising Star

Thanks for that - HH5 is the only item plugged into the faceplate (there's normally a couple of phones also connected to this socket, and a modem for 'Call Station' phone dialler, but I've left them unconnected for the time being).

[Afterthought] Elsewhere there is a BT Converse 2100 phone, which wasn't connected whilst the HH5 was connected to the test socket, but now is since the HH5 was reconnected normally.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Davexxx, thanks for getting back to me.

In that case, we can almost certainly say that the faceplate was to blame for the fault I was detecting.

Can you let us know how you get on when you've had chance to grab a new one?

Davexxx
Rising Star

I'm happy to replace the BT Openreach faceplate myself - just one problem: I can't see any identifying model details on the existing socket (please see attached photos).

If I can be sure about the model/version, then I'll go ahead and buy one.

Update: I think that BT Openreach supplied/fitted the current fibre broadband/phone wall socket 'line box' in January 2012 (as shown in photo).  

FYI: A BT Openreach wall-mounted fibre broadband 'high speed DSL' modem was installed at the same time. A faulty BT HH3 was replaced by BT in September 2011, and the telephone wiring at the property was extensively replaced by BT, also in January 2012.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Based on the photo you'd need something like this

I should point out this isn't a recommendation and we can't gurantee that it will work

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Davexxx
Rising Star

Matthew - many thanks for the suggestion (Mk2 master socket: 'iPlate VDSL Filter Faceplate Latest Version Genuine BT OpenReach BNIB').

After further investigation, it looks as though I have the obsolete BT Openreach Double Master Socket Mk1 (no suppliers traced online).

In the spirit of co-operation, I am happy to undertake a plug/socket type faceplate swap, but unless I am mistaken, the wiring immediately behind the Mk1 faceplate is not a straight-forward plug/socket swap, please see photo.

It feels like an opportunity to risk a loss of broadband service, via an accidentally-fouled up faceplate replacement, with an engineer's visit needed to effect recovery !

Further ideas welcome.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

As far as I'm aware the faceplate in question shouldn't have any wiring attached so it should just be a case of slide it off and put the new one on.

This video shows it in practice (minus actual wires)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Davexxx
Rising Star

Matthew - many thanks: 'How To fit a VDSL Plate on your NTE5 telephone master socket', it's useful.

I've since ordered the Master Socket Mk2 faceplate and will let you know how I get on.

Davexxx
Rising Star

Matthew - BT Openreach faceplate (Mk1?) replaced this morning with Mk2 (Tue 8 Jan 2019)

It seemed to function correctly after a Windows restart:

- E-mail OK via Outlook 2016
- https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/ OK - 75.3 Mbs DL/18.6 Mbs UL

but problems as before ca 12:45 pm today:

- http://bthomehub.home/ HH5 Manager 'waiting for' - would not load (to check event log)
- all 3 PN-suggested 'troubleshooter' speedtesters 'waiting for':
  * www.speedtest.btwholesale.com - doesn't connect
  * http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk - doesn't connect
  * http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html - 'The connection was reset'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

If you're having issues trying to load the router gateway this may suggest a problem with the router or the connection to the router. Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet