cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really slow connection last 2 days @ similar time of day

BikerPa
Grafter

Really slow connection last 2 days @ similar time of day

Long standing Fibre user here. Last 2 days during middle of the day speeds down to less than 2Mbps down (similar up) for no apparent reason, absolutely nothing changed here.

(Normal speeds are reliably 22Mbps Down 7Mbps up)

I tried Tweeting to Plusnethelp yesterday with no response.

Speed recovered in the evening sometime between 6-7pm yesterday.

Can someone look into this for me please (I've been on hold on the phone for 30mins+ & can't get through)

Sunday 16th 1pmSunday 16th 1pmSaturday 15th similar timeSaturday 15th similar time

71 REPLIES 71
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Really slow connection last 2 days @ similar time of day

Are you testing over an Ethernet cable or a wireless link?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BikerPa
Grafter

Ethernet direct to Draytek router.
Finally got through on phone to support.
Line checks done all fine (which I knew from my router logs & connection diagnostics anyway) already escalated case internally.
Davexxx
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Same problem here late afternoon yesterday/today (East Midlands); unable to complete Plusnet Broadband Troubleshooter tests because none of the suggested speedtesters will load.

The 'Which?' speedtester works, though, with normal results (70 Mbs DL, 17 Mbs UL). E-mail seems fine, too

Intuitively it feels like local demand is overloading the fibre BB network.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @BikerPa

I'm sorry that you're experiencing speed issues.

I believe I've picked up your DM from over Twitter not long ago.

Essentially following us reporting a fault through to our suppliers, the fault report went through automated diagnostics and came back advising that to progress the fault we'd need to arrange an engineer to visit you.

As per my response, when you get the chance could you try the steps here letting us know how you get on? We'll then progress the fault report on your account to get an engineer arranged to investigate this further.

@Davexxx, I've checked for you and there are no known capacity issues on the part of our suppliers network that your connection is routed through at the exchange. In addition, your line is testing at 79.6mbps with no issues detected.

The speeds you're getting of 70mbps look about right. By recommended speedtester if you mean the BTwholesale one I'm aware of an issue with that where it can give unreliable results.

If you get intermittent slow speeds via other speedtesters, could I ask if your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and I'd recommend trying the steps here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, do you experience the same problem using multiple devices?

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Davexxx
Rising Star

Many thanks - a ticket was submitted yesterday ca 5:15 pm, and is still pending ("The Question 185613357 has been released from hold and sent back to CSC - FTTC Faults - Speed").

a) The 'non-connecting' speedtesters yesterday late afternoon were all of those suggested by the PN Troubleshooter (but all connect 'instantaneously' this morning):

www.speedtest.btwholesale.com
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

By 'non-connecting', I mean waiting to connect but not succeeding within say a minute (nor seeming likely to).

b) The BBC web site was ditto, usually 'instantaneous'.

c) I'm using an Ethernet connection - but can't comment on other devices because they weren't in use at the time (2 laptops: inc. one via Netgear 1200PL: typically 50 Mbs DL & 17 Mbs UL)

BikerPa
Grafter

Anoush,

Same time of day again (late morning to mid-late afternoon) & speed has dropped again as per my Twitter DM.

Cat5 direct to router on master socket with all internal extensions & other devices disconnected from it.

Was 22Mbps down earlier this AM.

Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 12.29.48.pngScreenshot 2018-12-17 at 12.21.23.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for checking.

I think it may be worth booking that engineer to take a look at things. I've updated your fault ticket which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185610674 with your availability for a visit.

If you drop us a reply here or via Twitter once you've replied we'll be happy to pick it up. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Davexxx
Rising Star

The service seems back to normal now (fingers crossed) and the ticket investigation hasn't traced anything unusual - so it's been closed.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Davexxx,

I'm glad to hear that the connection speed has returned to normal however, the question on your account will remain open for 14 days. If the issue reoccurs, reply to the ticket and on here so we can pick it up for you as soon as possible for you.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Davexxx
Rising Star

Can you please re-open Question #185613357, as the slow connection problem has returned. TIA

As before, currently none of the Plusnet-suggested speedtesters connect within a reasonable timescale:

www.speedtest.btwholesale.com
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Although the Which? speedtester does, and reports normal DL/UL speeds (73/17 Mbs).

I've tried the Plusnet Troubleshooter, but it reports:

"Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable
There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a
system error.
A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers."

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Davexxx

As the question was closed from the website there's no way for us to reopen this. When it's been closed on the website it also hasn't updated the BT Wholesale fault reference which is why you're getting the troubleshooter error. 

I've raised a new ticket and made reference to the previous fault. The testing is similar to the previous fault ticket in which there's nothing that looks to be the cause of the issue, all the profiles are set as they should, the next step on the fault (as long as you've done the standard internal checks) is to book a visit. Please update the new ticket with your availability and we'll get this arranged for you. 

Davexxx
Rising Star

JOLO: "I've raised a new ticket and made reference to the previous fault ..." - many thanks, I've submitted further details.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Thanks @Davexxx,

I've updated it again. You've noted this happens in the evening time, are there particular time spans (3pm-6pm etc,.) as speed drops in that manner could indicate possible REIN related problems (although automated testing wasn't able to detect any REIN).

Davexxx
Rising Star

JOLO: Thanks again, REIN comment noted.

Not aware of any variation of equipment usage of ours that might be at fault (no Xmas lights this year !)

FYI: Our property telephone wiring was comprehensively replaced by BT Openreach January 2012 (BT Infinity Option 2), due to an earthing problem possibly arising from weathered telephone cabling (installed ca 1982).