Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bad packet loss

FIXED
webdev
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Really bad packet loss

For the last few weeks I have been getting packet loss. It's come to a head this weekend with repeated disconnect while gaming.

I used to be using the TG582n Plusnet router but then bought a Google home and after a weekend messing about came to the conclusion that this router just wont work with it. Previously with Plusnet we had FTTP (now we're FTTC) and had a Netgear WNR3500 v2. I Plugged this one in and Google home was fine and everything seemed OK. For the last few weeks we were getting packet loss but not too bad and it didn't impact anything.

Now we can't play anything, with no more than 20 minutes we are getting disconnects. I am seeing 70% packet loss using WinMTR:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 262 | 262 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 3 |
| No response from host - 100 | 52 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk - 99 | 53 | 1 | 0 | 11 | 11 | 11 |
| be3-3106.psb-ir02.plus.net - 66 | 72 | 25 | 0 | 14 | 22 | 17 |
| 195.99.125.142 - 66 | 72 | 25 | 0 | 12 | 24 | 13 |
| 62.172.103.197 - 65 | 73 | 26 | 0 | 12 | 21 | 21 |
| 195.99.126.187 - 71 | 68 | 20 | 0 | 15 | 30 | 13 |
| 74.125.242.65 - 71 | 68 | 20 | 0 | 13 | 24 | 17 |
| 64.233.175.95 - 70 | 69 | 21 | 0 | 15 | 23 | 23 |
| www.google.com - 66 | 72 | 25 | 0 | 14 | 23 | 11 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

We had this a couple years ago when there was some BT work going on and it eventually resolved itself. Now it's back.

Any ideas?

Plusnet provide a new router these days, might this help?

11 REPLIES 11
adamjanes

Re: Really bad packet loss

Having the same issue here. I’m using a netgear router which is only about 6 months old so I’m hoping it’s something to do with plusnet. I’m getting about 75% packet loss, every 10 seconds ish.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

HI @webdev

Thanks for getting in touch. Your packet loss is being caused by physical drops on your connection. I've tested your line and no external faults exist at present, so its probably worth getting your router into the test socket and then raising a fault here if the issue persists.

Hi @adamjanes

Your issue is slightly less cut and dry. There are no external issues with your line nor any drops being demonstrated by your connection. Could you please confirm that you're seeing these packet loss issues via a wired connection and provide the same information that's in @webdev 's post (re: the trace route).

Thanks,

Dave

webdev
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply. We are also using network over powerline in the house so I have just tried testing the internet with a P.C. connected direct into the router with a cable and I'm getting exactly the same result on both machines. However, this evening we're "only" getting 50% packet loss.

I will try the test socket tomorrow evening. Is this the hidden socket revealed by removing the base plate from the main BT socket into the house?

adamjanes

@RandallFlagg Thanks Dave but it seems to be back to normal now. I’ll keep an eye on it but hopefully it’s all good. Cheers
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @webdev - it is indeed.

@adamjanes - Glad to hear it.

Thanks.

Dave

webdev
Dabbler

Not sure if anything changed on the PlusNet side but I put the old router back on this evening (TG582n) and I now have 0 packet loss Smiley . No idea what's wrong with the Netgear.

So, now I'm back to the original problem in that I can't get Google Home working. Is the TG582n compatible with Google Home? I went through all the suggestions of setting the wifi band, enabling UPnP, and a few others, but nothing happening, it wont connect on wifi. I have read posts from other people having issues with this router and Home.

Is the new router that PlusNet use any better?

webdev
Dabbler

Sorry, it was actually a Chromecast that I completely failed to get working with the TG582n. I bought the home mini and chromecast as a bundle.

Anyway, no matter what I tried with the router settings it would not connect to the wifi but had no problems at all with the Netgear.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @webdev 

The Fibre router we currently offer (the Hub One) is are most up to date router.

Is it JUST the Chromecast you are having issues with, connection wise? Personally, I remember I dealt with a few of these around xmas last year - it's all gone quite on that front as of then...but as far as I am aware those were with the H1 and we have (quite a while ago) closed that issue as resolved on both Google and our sides.

Let me have an ask around and see if anyone has any more / up to date info.

Thanks, 

MoR

webdev
Dabbler

We have the router Plusnet used before they started offering the Hub One. We are still on the Technicolor TG582n.

Connection wise it is just the Chromecast I had issues setting up. After failing to get it working I reverted to the older Netgear router which worked out of the box with Chromecast but, I just discovered, introduced horrible packet loss. After failing to get the Chromecast working I never tried with the Google Home on the TG582n so not sure if that would have been OK.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @webdev 

I've opened a support ticket on your account - please click here to view it. 

Reply to it and give me a shout on here when you've done this. 

Thanks

MoR

webdev
Dabbler

Fix

Hi,

After putting the TG582n router back on (following the packet loss issue with the Netgear router) I thought I'd give getting Google Home and Chromecast working one last shot.

I have no idea why, but both devices connected straight off. I now have everything working OK and 0 packet loss. Maybe because the device was in a box for a month that something reset properly and a quick switch off and on wasn't enough.

I'm a firm believer in if something isn't broken don't mess with it.

Thanks for your help with my issues. I think I'll close the support ticket and stick with what I have for the moment. I like the idea of having a single box instead of the VSTL modem and separate router but when everything seems OK I'll carry on with that.

I'll be back if any other issues come up Smiley