cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real line speeds of 57, but Plusnet says I'm getting 78

melesmelee

Real line speeds of 57, but Plusnet says I'm getting 78

New customer, when I had the line installed (switching from VM) the engineer said the line quality was good and I should expect speeds in the 70s.
Started off in the mid-50s which I expected due to line training, but it's been a few weeks now and I'm still stuck there.
Oddly, today I received an email from Plusnet saying my current speed is 78 when it isn't.
Any thoughts?
Duncan
4 REPLIES 4
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Real line speeds of 57, but Plusnet says I'm getting 78

Testing wired or wireless?
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Because when Plusnet provisioned you they applied the default  profile based on the 80Mb/s product and this will remain until a delta report is received and at that time it will match the BT IP profile
melesmelee

Thanks for the reply Oldjim.
I assume that means that once the delta is received the reported current line speed (including via the link in your signature) will match what I'm actually getting.
Seems strange that Plusnet's method of reporting line speed just gives a theoretical number and not the actual speed.
Duncan
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Agreed  it is odd but that is the way it is set up and is a hang over from the time of MaxDSL when the IP profile wasn't a direct multiple of the sync speed
I wouldn't bother too much about the Plusnet number being higher it is when it is the other way round that people get twitchy