Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-appraising moving to Fibre

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Re-appraising moving to Fibre

@Routefinder 

You can login to your router with the password on the plastic card and then change to whatever you want.

D

Routefinder
Grafter

@dws1900 

This particular cable is not marked.

Routefinder
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Whilst waiting for answers to a PM message I sent to 'staff' about "a deal info" I kept digging:-

1. I note that Fibre BB packages(?) have line rental included but without a calls 'offer'

2. Our BT phone contract is the "Home Saver 2020" and that the inclusive calls with the free up to 60 mins calls in it.
    We don't do a lot of landline calls but my wife does talk to her sister on such protracted calls.

Having read the PN 'Phone' service info they do talk about what seems to be something akin to the BT Home Phone Saver offering.
    If so, how much does that add the PN Unlimited Fibre cost?

3. One reason not to want move my BB away is that I have different emails for different usages and that  means a real faff to to make those changes Sad

4. If PN can do a good price to address the Fibre and Phone...............that is worth considering, I think?

Now I think I have found the CoT number (0800 013 2632) but (if I need to?) what button press choices do I need to be aware of to talk to the right 'team' members?

Routefinder
Grafter

@daveplus 

Thanks for clarifying that Smiley  

The one thing  I did read about the Hub One was that there is no Mac filtering.................yes I know that is not a guarantee of access control but IMO extra layers of security are (always?) good to have.

I can only surmise that the Hub One allows for setting the DHCP range and hence having static IP's for connected and WiFi devices? 

I use static IP's for the likes of WiFi connected printers so that I can as needed have their GUI control open on a browser tab.  In the Billion I explicitly allocate the IP number to a device so that it is served up to the device, does the Hub One behave in a like manner?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Routefinder 

Plusnet calls packages are here: https://www.plus.net/broadband/extras/call-plans/.

I can't answer your questions about the Hub One as I don't use one. If you can't get on with a Hub One and your Billion device does all that you want then configure it as a router and get a modem. One won't break the bank: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Huawei-EchoLife-HG612-3B-FTTC-VDSL-Fibre-Modem/324198973394?...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Routefinder
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Thanks for the links.

The BT Home Phoner Saver 2020 is £21.99 per month.......line rental alone without additions is £20.20.

So subject to PN clarification and not withstanding any 'final' cost of Fibre and Phone et al
PN Line Rental @ £19.99 per month & the Evening and Weekend UK and Mobile Calls (this appears to match the BT Saver package) @ £5 per month = £24.99

Therefore, a new PN customer would be paying (I think) a total of £27.99 for Unlimted Fibre & the "Evening and Weekend UK and Mobile Calls" added.

Food for thought if PN are willing to make the same offer to an upgrading PN customer of long standing Wink

Routefinder
Grafter

Ah! looks like I mis-read Home Phone Saver info.................it has anytime calls.

So the equivalent to PN is their "Anytime" phone package @ £9/mth not as attractive Sad as the figure above (as noted if PN willing to offer it???) would be £31.99 ~ hmmmm?

Baldrick1

@Routefinder 

Are my sums wrong:

BT Phone package £20.20 per month plus Plusnet unlimited broadband £13.49(?) per month, which equals £33.69 per month.

Plusnet unlimited Fibre broadband plus line rental plus calls £31.99 per month.

Or are you on a very old legacy limited download broadband service?

Moderator and Customer

Routefinder
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

I am on Plusnet Umlimited (Contract) ADSL but AFAIK it is a legacy 'product(version)' and suffice to say with the BT Home Phone Saver and the PN ADSL our combined bill is a tad under £33

So at the very least, or better it, I want to match that but with PN that needs them to offer me the new PN Fibre figure not what (looks like to me) a punitive £37.50/mth (my calculated include/match what we have now with the BT part) to simply 'upgrade'. 

Your figure above "Plusnet unlimited Fibre broadband plus line rental plus calls £31.99 per month" is the exact figure I calculated in my previous post.............based on getting the "new customer rate & Anytime Calls"

I just wish they would have a nicer approach to existing customers instead the headlong rush to enroll those chasing the lowest offer..................who are more likely to leave when they can get the next best(?) offer.

It always used to the business mantra of look after the clients you have as it costs more to find the new ones than risk losing the current ones!

Baldrick1

@Routefinder 

You just need to ring and haggle. You might well find that you cannot upgrade to fibre without transferring your phone so your option might be to either stay with ADSL, move your phone to Plusnet or move your broadband to BT. Have you examined that option?

By having the two suppliers you will never get the best deal. As far as I am aware you cannot take out a new lower priced contract anymore with Plusnet so you probably have to pay the full out of contract price for ADSL plus a surcharge of, I believe, £2.50 per month. Added to this, if you have any problem you run the risk of the fault being batted between the two suppliers arguing whether you have a phone or broadband fault. The nightmare scenario, and it can happen, is that a phone fault affects broadband, it might show up as a phone fault on the broadband troubleshooter but may not not show up as a fault on phone diagnostic tests.

Moderator and Customer

Routefinder
Grafter

Just to update the thread

I rang and spoke to the CoT and yes, only Phone & BB packages now!

Talked it through and loyalty recognised and the package price was acceptable Smiley  NB their loyalty based offer was less than the equivalent one from BT with whom we currently have the phone Wink

So Hub One on the way Fibre scheduled to go live on 29th June.

One thing the CoT guy said was to "when you get the Hub One plug it in once received as it will work with the current ADSL service and other than the speed change once Fibre is activated there is nothing else to do...."

So, going forward if the Hub One is fine in regard to WiFi in our situation then stick with it but if flakey or lacking in WiFi range then will have think on either configuring the Billion as an AP or getting a 'better' vDSL enabled router?