Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-appraising moving to Fibre

Routefinder
Grafter

Re-appraising moving to Fibre

Hi all

It has been a good while since I reviewed moving to Fibre and the cost differential I surmise, even with the tiny incentive offered last time, is still about double my ADSL costs.

However, I would welcome some feedback & insights as follows:-

1. In the main my ADSL line is stable and consistent.............hopefully the switch to Fibre will be equally so?
    What make & model is the supplied Fibre modem?
    Is Fibre still a BT OR installed service or is it now 'user' installed?

2. My current home network configuration is:-
    Router a Billion 7800DXL plugged into a switch which currently has the NAS and PC attached.
    Other devices are all on the WiFi
    NB most devices are on fixed IP.

3. In my original 'plans' I was going to run CAT5e pulled through the floor in place of my telephone type cable for the ADSL usage and plug the supplied Fibre modem into the 7800DXL which can be switched from PPPoA to PPPoE

However, (this is where I need some tech insight Wink ) to remove the need for changing cables is this possible?
    Keep the current overall configuration but use the 7800DXL as an AP that is then WiFi linked to the supplied Fibre modem?

I think I can see one hurdle because of my poor knowledge about usage of AP's

So, TIA for the feedback

25 REPLIES 25
Routefinder
Grafter

Re: Re-appraising moving to Fibre

Whilst waiting to see any feedback I have done some digging Wink

I have found out that it is the PlusNet Hub One that is sent out Smiley

I have found the PN guides pages and noted as follows:-

2. Place it centrally

Think of your router like a sprinkler, spitting out broadband signals in all directions to cover your home. The more centrally you place it, the more of your home will be covered.

If you put it near a window, it will broadcast signals outside. Put it somewhere centrally and enjoy a good signal all the way around.

9. Experiment

Your broadband router might take a bit of time to find somewhere it's comfortable. Try different locations to see where you get the best signal strength and stability.

10. Use the master socket

Your master socket is where your phone lines comes into your house, and it provides the most powerful connection. You'll usually find it in your living room. Plug your router in there. It will make it happy.

Right, our master socket is in the hall near the front door and my Billion 7800DXL router is in the room directly above the corner where the master socket is.  The phone extension cable is not the usual consumer type but more the type that BT engineers use to create/move sockets (this was run for us when we had some electrical work done and the floorboards were up in the upstairs room) and replaced my original 'consumer' grade connection wire.  The new wiring was done about 6 years ago did make for slight but discernible improvement in the connection stability.

So, in the light of the three notes copied & pasted above.......just how near to the master socket does the Hub One need to be (the extension I mention above is approx 20foot long)?   And unless the Hub One is 'oh so much fussier than the Billion' I have located a good place for the router!

If, apart from the Hub One being a Fibre router, it can simply replace my 7800DXL then that is a 'no brainer'.................just plug 'n setup to my preferences Smiley  Simple setup is always good!

FWIW my current router sit atop the PC box (which is on my desk) the WiFi signal is very good with a strong signal all through the house and the garden......max distance approx 80ft away I still get a usable signal Smiley  Will the Hub One WiFi be as strong as that?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Routefinder 

.just how near to the master socket does the Hub One need to be (the extension I mention above is approx 20foot long)?   And unless the Hub One is 'oh so much fussier than the Billion' I have located a good place for the router!

Fibre(vdsl) uses higher frequencies than adsl and is therefore more susceptible to line length and external interference. Extension cables in general can add to this problem, thus the suggestion is to keep the router as close to the master socket as possible. Having said that, from you post...

The phone extension cable is not the usual consumer type but more the type that BT engineers use to create/move sockets (this was run for us when we had some electrical work done and the floorboards were up in the upstairs room) and replaced my original 'consumer' grade connection wire.  The new wiring was done about 6 years ago did make for slight but discernible improvement in the connection stability.

your extension may not have a significant effect.

The first thing you need to do is see what your speed estimates are and which product Unlimited(up to 40Mb) or Extra(up to 80Mb) you are considering. Put your phone number into here https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL and post the results (make sure you redact your phone number displayed at the top of the results, this is a public forum).

We should then be able to advise a little better...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Routefinder
Grafter

Hi

Many thanks for the reply.

Here is the 'checker' page and the stats from my Billion 7800DXL.  The exchange is approx 5miles away and the Cabinet approx 600M walking the streets.

As for the PN product I am thinking Unlimited rather than Extra ~ for cost reasons mainly and AFAIK I would not gain much, on my connection figures, with Extra.  Having said that I need a decent upload speed to use cloud storage Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Routefinder thanks for those figures.

The existing ADSL ones from the 7800DXL show that you're a little below what the router thinks should be available for your line,  3463 as against 4228 and the SNR is only 4.4. The 3463 is better than the estimate of 2.5Mb but then again the ADSL estimates do seem to be pessimistic! (mine was 8Mb and I actually got 11Mb when I was on ADSL2). Assuming that is indicative of line quality, it would suggest that you might get closer to the lower estimates for VDSL rather than the higher. My guess is that you ought to get the maximum 40/10 speed on the Unlimited product.

Your suggestion that you wouldn't gain very much on the Extra is probably well founded. I don't use cloud storage myself, but I do use VPN for remote access to my office systems and with a 40/10 connection don't notice any slowness. I was originally on the early 40/2 product and noticed a big difference in response using VNC to access my office PC when I was upgraded to 40/10.

Going back to your extension wiring, I have a similar setup, there's no power close to my master socket and so I have a hardwired extension, in what sounds like similar cable to yours, of perhaps about 10m. I've checked at the master socket and at the extension and there is little difference in sync speed. Then again , with decent quality cable and connections, why would 10m extra have any significant effect compared to the (in my case) 500m to the cabinet!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Routefinder
Grafter

@MisterW 

Thanks for the experienced insights

I will reach out to 'staff' here and see what they would now do for a long term PN customer (started in 2003 I think Wink ) by way of some sweetener to go fibre Cheesy

Note ~ back when I last asked they were none too generous ~ FWIW we are not going whole package but keeping with BT for the phone contract.  Every bit saved is important right now!

If simply physically replacing the Billion works well then AOK but if I have issues then maybe move the Hub One nearer to the main socket and get a PCI WiFi card for this PC.  Even on WiFi it will be quicker upload that ethernet connected PC on ADSL :lol: 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Routefinder 

As I think that you've worked out, there is no longer a separate Openreach modem required as it has been replaced by the Hub One which is a combined modem/router. Your Options are:

1. Replace your Billion modem/router with the Hub One. You may well find that the wireless performance is inferior.

2. Switch off the WiFi on the Hub One, configure your Billion modem/router as an Acess Point and connect it to the Hub One.

3. Get a modem, the Huawei model 3B HG612 works well and is available cheaply on auction sites such as Ebay. These are one of the modems originally supplied by Openreach. You should then be able to reconfigure your Billion to use this as you originally intended.

Unless you are on an old ADSL limited product it should not be double the cost. You should look up competitors costs then ring Plusnet and haggle. Your price should not be more than about £5 per month more. If you are out of contract select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option and whatever you do don't accept the first offer unless you're totally happy. You shouldn't have to haggle but that's the way of the world!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Routefinder 

One other bit of general information.

PlusNet no longer offer Internet only deals - new customers must take phone as well as internet.

As an existing customer you may well be OK upgrading but you may have to phone them to check (and haggle over prices!!!).

Brian

Routefinder
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

I am on "Plusnet Unlimited Contracted" ADSL and have been since 2005

Based on the headline price of Fibre I would see costs just over double for the Fibre Unlimited (package) !

Re: your points ~ kit and setup
If I can indeed run off the shortish extension I am using then alternate 'setup' is/are more straightforward. 

Will see what initial feedback I get re: costs offering???

Routefinder
Grafter

@bmc 

Ah! shall have to see what PN say as not a new customer Wink

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Routefinder 

My modem is 10 metres from the master socket, using CW1308 cable

I tested the attenuation of the extension, no difference in connecting the modem at the master socket or in the study.

The previous ADSL extension did not work at all, the modem did not sync.

Routefinder
Grafter

@dws1900 

Thanks for the info and insight

Ref CW1308 had to look it up as could not recall if I was told the code.........2 pair (twisted) 4 core that about describes what the guy ran for me especially the fact that it is solid copper and not twisted strand.  NB I crimped the plug(s) myself so know I did a good job Wink

So fingers crossed..... as I progress my interest Smiley

Routefinder
Grafter

Quick question re Hub One settings

Without a full pdf manual I cannot see this on any of the "help" videos?

Is it possible to change the default admin password? NB at one point in the video it appears to say ~ make sure to change to the (Hub?) password but does not actually illustrate where in the GUI that is performed !

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Routefinder 

Usually the code  and other information is printed on the side of the cable, every metre or so.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Routefinder wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Will see what initial feedback I get re: costs offering???

I had missed that you want to keep your phone with BT. This could be problematic. To be honest you might get a cheaper deal for both fibre and phone from BT.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'