Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Peak Time slowdown

FIXED
Adamlurks
Dabbler

Same here. 34 down during the day, between 8-10pm we dip as low as 2 or 3. Such a [-Censored-] service.
20 REPLIES 20
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Adamlurks - have you run speed tests and diagnostics to see if there is a fault on your line? This thread was last posted on 11 months ago..... and the person who was experiencing the problem got it resolved....

Adamlurks
Dabbler

Hi Steve - have spent the last 2 weeks doing tests, swapping routers, changing settings etc etc The fault appeared the very day I switched to Plusnet and only occurs during peak usage time of 8-10pm, so that is some pretty coincidental faulty wiring / interference / ‘any excuse plucked out of the PlusNet manual’. Once peak times end the faulty line magically fixes itself again. It’s amazing how that happens.
br043871
Grafter

In my case this was caused by a vlan capacity issue, Plusnet asked BT to check this but it came back fine the first time but on the second occasion, they identified a problem then fixed it. @Gandalf on here helped me and the thread was called "Slow broadband in the evenings" if you want to search for it.
Adamlurks
Dabbler

Thanks br - I’ll look at this now.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to the community forums @Adamlurks

Sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems

I can see your complaint is being dealt with by my colleagues in our high level escalations team and we've arranged an engineer visit for next Wednesday to investigate the Openreach network.

I've checked our suppliers utilisation report and there doesn't seem to be anything reported with regards to congestion. With that said and I'm not sure whether this has been done already, I'd like to contact our suppliers quality assurance (QA) team to investigate the VLAN as I did with @br043871

Sadly, since they're only open normal office hours/not on bank holidays or weekends, I'll contact them when I'm in the office next week apart from New Year's Day and I'll post back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Adamlurks
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush - I appreciate this. I’m hopeful that there is a simple fix for this. Thanks for initiating this.
Adamlurks
Dabbler

Hi again Anoush - download speeds of <5 again this eve. I just wanted to ask, I have an engineer visiting my place on Weds morning. This will be when there’s no fault as it occurs around 8-10pm every night. Is there any point in an engineer coming to my place at this time? It seems like a wasted journey. I am happy to take time off work for this visit but I fear that they will just say ‘no fault’, as there will be no fault when they visit at that time...
I am just interested in your thoughts on this. It seems unusual to send an engineer out at a time when I have already stated that there is no fault.
Any input you can give is gratefully received - thanks for picking up on this already.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I used to get packet loss in the evenings (thinkbroadband monitor showed it) which killed off the TV service. After multiple engineer visits and a lift and shift it all cleared up (oh and my speed went up from low 30Mbs to low 40s).... So it could be that your problem is being exacerbated by a physical problem... and you may well get a new master socket out of it (I got 3!!)

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

OP post and replies split to its own thread from here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @Adamlurks

I think it's definitely worth getting an engineer out there to investigate the Openreach network, in case there is an issue there indirectly or directly affecting your connection.

In addition, sadly I won't be able to contact QA before the engineer visit as I'm off work on Tuesday.

I've created another ticket on your account to my own workflow, as a reminder to myself, so I'll follow up and speak to our suppliers on Wednesday, assuming the engineer hasn't resolved the issue by then.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@SteveA wrote:
..........After multiple engineer visits and a lift and shift it all cleared up (oh and my speed went up from low 30Mbs to low 40s)....

I'd take a bet that part of the 'lift and shift' involved moving you to a different SVLAN with lower utilisation? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Adamlurks
Dabbler

Thanks so much Anoush - download speed here is 4.37 with results posted to the wholesale site so you may be able to access them. Netflix is unusable! Really hope that this can get sorted. Thanks for all of your input so far. Adam
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Adam.

After discussing this with our suppliers, they've arranged to move your circuit to a different VLAN.

It should happen within the next 48 hours. Whilst this is no guarantee to fix the speed issue you're experiencing, at least it should rule out the VLAN from causing the problem. With that said, it worked with @br043871 so fingers crossed.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Adamlurks
Dabbler

Thanks for your help with this - it is genuinely appreciated. I had openreach out this morning but they were unhelpful/disinterested and said it could be my neighbours Christmas lights interfering with the Wi-fi. I think we all know that isn’t true, unless they only illuminate their house at peak times... Really appreciate you stepping up and initiating this VLAN switch - I was going to leave PlusNet today but your proactivity and help is a definite reason to stay. As you say, even if it doesn’t fix the problem at least it narrows down the source of the issue. Thanks again and I will post back in 2-3 days with speed test results. Fingers crossed it will alleviate this though.