cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Noise on phone line...slow internet

Sonicscooter
Dabbler

I currently have an open case for what started out as noise on the line. We now have no dial tone, just a dead line.

The BT engineer came yesterday and found a break in the line 20metres outside our property.  The problem with that is, this is the third time that we have had BT digging up the road to fix our phone line, and the last time while he was fixing it it broke in two more places.  And he had to fix those as well, after telling me that the line is so badly corroded he was surprised it was able to carry a signal. The line suffers badly as a result, and I am concerned about downtime on internet as well.

I signed up with Plusnet a long while ago, I came over from madasafish when plusnet took their clients on, then upgraded to fibre (FTTC) on the 40/20 because I needed it for work, ADSL on the copper lines were ok for downloads (12MB) but only giving me 0.4 upload.  I now normally get 38 down, but have never got near 20 upload, normally about 5 which is tricky as I work from home due to my sons disability.

Surprisingly with the phone line being out, the internet is still on, but drastically reduced - only 7MB down, and 3 up.

So far Plusnet have been great in handling the calls and getting the BT engineer out, but I am concerned that problems like this will continue if something isnt done about the line itself.  Any reassurances for me?

Also, whats this about plusnet swapping 40/20 to 40/2...  or 50/10.  I've never had any notification anything would change, and If I get 38 down and about 5-6 up, where does that put my profile?

19 REPLIES 19
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.

split post into its own topic for better visibility.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Sonicscooter
Dabbler

Thanks Dvorak, as you can see this is my first post NEWBIE status on this forum and i don't do forums much, so I appreciate the assist rather than the 'flame'.

Which as a pro user Gel, I thought you would have known was not  in the terms of use.... I made the comment on that post because i was looking for similar answers to my problem which started out as noise on the line.

-----

Update on problem, internet now drops out every 5-10 minutes, won't sustain any download, no phone dial tone, but oddly the phone still rings if someone calls. If i answer, nothing. At least i can phone them back on my mobile.....

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

I can see our suppliers are investigating and a underground engineer is due to go out tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Sonicscooter
Dabbler

We now have a white painted line on the path outside our house, with the letters 'OR'.  As service has not been restored, I am guessing it is not conductive paint to bridge the gap in the broken connection Wink

I am now having to do a 75 mile round trip for work, an extra 2 hours travel a day.  Time, fuel and parking charges are all adding up due to this, with no communication apart from a promissory date of 16th for an engineer - who must have painted the line? HELP!!!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Chances are in that case the road will need digging up.

I'm just checking to see if that's the case.

[edit[

Looks like it's due for tomorrow

The job is with the contractor for the dig work and the required by date for the completion of the job is for 19/04/2017."

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Sonicscooter
Dabbler

OK - so I am now questioning your customer service - I did get a phone call from plusnet today with a an update - it rang once, then hung up before i could answer it. within 5 seconds of the call, i got a text mesage with the update - first thing it says is - I tried to call you but no answer.  So - the text message was all ready to send, BEFORE you tried to call, then you did a cursory attempt to contact me so you could say you did, then posted the message. EXTREMELY bad customer service.

So the fix is delayed again, and your customer service didnt want to deliver that message in person, to a probably annoyed customer. Because they have now been without service approaching 2 weeks.

UPDATE: As of 15:00 on 19th April - no ducting/digging work had commenced at our property.

Please note - I would also like it noted that I often work from home to care for my disabled son, something which I am not able to do without phone and reliable internet service.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear that.

I'm chasing this with our suppliers for you.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Sonicscooter
Dabbler

So the BT Engineer arrived today to reconnect the broken line - hooray.

Only one problem, No-one had been to dig the hole he needed to get to the line 4 feet under, so he went away again.

Plusnet have said it will be another 7 days without service.

Sonicscooter
Dabbler

IMG_20170424_084831824.jpg

Do you see a hole yet?

Can anyone find out when they are coming.  Starting to lose hope. 

Sonicscooter
Dabbler

Result. We have a hole. Note the two large BT boxes from previous fixes (one wrapped in a plastic bag to prevent water ingress).
Let's hope the repair is complete before Tuesday as they will be back to fill in the hole even if no-one has been.!!!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm glad to see this, keep us updated! Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sonicscooter
Dabbler

Hi Anoush

The Openreach engineer has now been and reconnected the line. Very clear, no crackles as far as I can tell so pleased with that.

Broadband fttc is stable, but low speeds. This may be due to training? But we are getting half what we had before the line fault. 18 down, 4/5 up load. 

The engineer came yesterday lunchtime, how long before I should expect normal service? Or an increase in download as I have now been put on the 55 down package? Is there any switch you can throw your end? Or a reset button so I can get the speeds promised?

Thanks as always for any guidance.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. It looks like we've still identified a fault with your service and this has been raised again with our suppliers. We'll keep you updated within the next 72 hours via your account.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet